Chores for a 9 year old?

I want to teach my step son the value of working for money. What are some chores that a 9 year old can do?

Favorite Answer

Taking out the garbage. Loading the dishwasher. Folding laundry. Making bed every morning. Feeding the pet. Watering plants. Sweeping. Washing of tabletops. Dusting. Vaccuuming. Cleaning toilets. Pulling weeds. Etc.

Source(s): I have a son too, and i have a calender of certain things he has to do each week and i hang it on his door, if everything is done at the end of the week he gets $10 if it isnt i take his phone and computer priviliges away until the end of the next week.
  • ymaksa

A friend has a list on her fridge of certain chores around the house with a $ price tag attached.

For example:

$1 basket of laundry folded---$5 Clean entire bathroom

I pay $5 per hour if I have a few chores. Also, there are other items like picking up room, setting table, cleaning up after a meal that are not paid items but, just should be part of being a family.

Lastly, show/explain your step son that some one working at a store probably makes about $8 an hour. If that person wanted a new pair of sneakers that were $80-- He/she would have to work over 10 hours to earn enough money for those sneakers. When I explained this to my child, they really got it! Also, got with him to the local bank and open a small passbook saving account and have him deposit some of the money he earns or gets for his birthday into it.. Have him make a goal of something he would like to earn.. when he earns enough-- Take him to purchase it.. The whole process comes full circle

If

make a chart with the chore then MTWTHFSS columns lets them put a check in each box when he completes it at the end of the day give him a star sticker to put on it. at the end of the week if hes missing a star(say he gets a dollar a day for completing his work) he only gets 6 dollars

It will show him what he accomplished and what he earned from it. Tell him its his responiblity to do the chore and put the checks.....Dont nag him to do it or dont do it your self. at the end of the week tell him the reason he didnt get his full amount. and maybe he will change his mind on his choices the next week

Garbage, Dishes, Dishwasher, Cleaning up after animals, Vaccuming, Making bed, Feeding animals, cleaning bathroom, sorting laundry, doing laundry, folding laundry, getting the mail everyday, making sure electronics are turned off when hes finished, shoveling driveway(if in cold areas)

You should not be paying him for chores, that's not teaching him about working for money at all. Chores are something he HAS to do whether he likes it or not. There won't be any person paying him to do them when he has his own place. The sooner he learns that, the better.

A 9 year old can:

- keep his room clean and tidy

- wipe the dishes

- help weed the garden

- take the rubbish out to the bin

When I was nine we had to clean the kitchen after dinner get the dishes setup to be washed wipe the table and sweep the floor we also had to pick up laundry and take it to the laundry room and we had to make sure all our stuff was taken out of the common room and back to our bedrooms we also had outside work to do pick up all the stuff from the lawn (sticks, paper, anything that the mower might hit) lots of ways to make the little ones earn money it beats them on the couch with a video game

• bianca

I even have 2 boys. 8 & 10 They do the dishes two times a week (each and each), a load of laundry as quickly as a week (from initiating to end, meaning putting them the place they belong). They sweep on a daily basis. They make the main mess of my bathing room sink, so as that they replace weeks cleansing that on a daily basis. considered one of them clears out all the garbages on a daily basis, on a similar time as the different makes useful their canines have nutrition and water. they actually have a miscellaneous chore on a daily basis, which would be something i choose for finished.

Clean up his room, and wash clothes in a washer machine. But teaching that to a nine year old is a bit to early, it wont stick and they may just end up resenting you. They are still stubborn and want to have fun.

Sweep the floor clean his room take out trash clean the house anything that u think he is capable of doing without injuring his self or totally destroying the house

My mum made me do work in the gardening such as pulling out weeds, etc.

Took me hours in the hot Australian sun to complete it.

As you can imagine, it was an unpleasant chore to do.

It did, however, get the point of hard work across.

Source(s): Source? Call it experience, not that I have much.

Folding towels and clothes.

Taking the rubbish out.

Making his bed each morning.

Unpacking the dish washer\ or washing the dishes.

Source(s): I do all this to get some extra cash around the house :'3