What is a SSD used for?

I am 12 and ADDICTED to computers I can put my computer together blind folded, I know just as much as the people at best buy and walmart if not more. I am planning to have a business where I Fix computers, sell Video Cards, Sound Cards, Processors, MotherBoards, RAM ect., and Sell custom gaming Rigs. I just would like to boost my knowledge In computers and I need to know them inside out. I just dont understand a SSD. so help me out? and also if you think I dont know something can you please inform me about it and what it does? Thank You.

So since they are faster but not hold as much info then you would typically put the OS on it so you could boot up faster?

• R.F.
    Best Answer

An SSD, Solid State Drive, is a disk drive that is made of flash memory instead of the spinning mechanical disks of a mechanical disk drive.

An SSD is used for the same purpose as any hard drive--to store data.

Advantages of an SSD is that because it's solid state, no moving parts like a mechanical drive, is that it's not susceptible to shock damage like if you drop it, etc. And since it's all electrical data transfer, it's faster than a mechanical device.

Disadvantages include because it's a newer technology requiring a lot of high demand flash memory, it's more expensive than a mechanical drive, and SSD are not available in as high a capacity as what you can find for mechanical drives. Also, it may be more volatile to degradation over a lot of use, but that's debatable too.

• Donna

Yes you have the option of just using a SSD instead of a regular hard drive. Keep in mind that SSD technology is still pretty expensive. For just a 128 GB SSD your looking at 100 bucks, and 256 SSD run right around 200 - 250. It is better to have your operating system run off a SSD, as it will run faster but you should also have a regular hard drive that you can store movies, pictures, music and documents on. This will change in the future when SSD become cheaper.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axpTS

Most laptops only have a single SSD installed. If you are using a desktop, you can still use a single SSD but its highly recommend that you have a secondary hard drive installed. Furthermore, by having a second hard drive inside your computer, you can get away with an SSD that has a smaller capacity. You could RELOCATE: Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music to your other hard drive. And then create a folder called Program Files (optional name) and install the bulk of your programs there. As far as the SSD goes, you keep all your drivers and disk utilities, Office and your Browsers there since they will benefit greatly with the extra speed.

I would write the same thing as RF but I can also say that 1. typically SSDs hold less memory, so they're not great for mass storage. 2. SSDs are way more expensive than mechanical hard drives because they are so fast. 3. There are also SSDs that go into PCIe slots rather than the typical connection, and this allows for extreme performance.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is a SSD used for?

I am 12 and ADDICTED to computers I can put my computer together blind folded, I know just as much as the people at best buy and walmart if not more. I am planning to have a business where I Fix computers, sell Video Cards, Sound Cards, Processors, MotherBoards, RAM ect., and Sell custom gaming...

Source(s): ssd for: https://tr.im/y35JB