PARENTS: At which stage of a childs life are they most difficult to manage?

The 'terrible twos' or teenage?

Favorite Answer

None of my kids are teenagers yet, so I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the terrible two's/three's would be worse for a boy, and the teenage years would be worse for a girl. Girls tend to be less violent, so for the terrible two's/three's, they'd be less apt to throw things, hit people, kick, bite, etc., while most boys will do that stuff. Boys also tend to be less dramatic, so for their teenage years, there will probably be less drama and crying than for a girl. :)

Your question made me smile, as I have 2 sons, now aged 26 and 17. At each stage I have told myself 'ah well, it will get easier soon....'. Ha ha, my 26 year old still gives me trouble! He doesn't live with us now, he lives with his girlfriend, but he's always short of money and getting into scrapes. I would say the most physically demanding time is when they're very young (sleepless nights), but worrying never goes away. Once a parent, always a parent and you'll worry for the rest of your life. Terrible twos were awful if they had a tantrum in a shop or refused to eat their dinner, but when they get older you worry about where they are and what they're doing, but you can't be seen to interfere. When they were little they would come for a cuddle but if you show too much affection when they're teenagers they are horrified! So there's no 'most difficult' time - all the stages are difficult in their own way!

Source(s): Mum of 2 grown boys

I have 4 boys who are now teens and a preteen and honestly I'd say neither.

The most difficult age is between 3 and 8...these are also the most important years when it comes to setting up your boundaries, limits, discipline etc...which will determine what type of teenagers you have. Under 3 they are easy to reason with, easy to "trick" into doing what you want if you are creative enough. Between 3 and 8 or 9 are the tricky years.

My boys were all easy until they hit 3 and now as teenagers they are great...independent, responsible, do well in school, I have no issues with them.

i was told that the teen years are like the terrible 2s,only with more coherent arguing!

seriously,i would think both are difficult in their own way.i have a 4 year old and ive found his toddler hood very challenging.i may well find his teen years a challenge too

I'd say the terrible twos because they are always fussy and going through major milestones in their life. But for me, its the terrible 3 months because my baby is crying non-stop and peeing and pooping non-stop. It drives me instane but I love the little rascal.

Depends. My little bro in the terrible twos bit me, threw things,spit, yelled and screamed, and many more. But teens are rebellious sometimes, they huff and roll their eyes, etc. Your choice on which is worse. :)

It doesnt matter what age they are, they are always going to be difficult to manage !!

Parenting, it aint easy :P