Your opinion-good/bad diaper brands?

So I can start stocking up?

I've heard some brands cause rashes and can be irritating, but other brands are supposed to be gentle and flexible. Have you ever had good/bad experiences with diapers and which brands should I get/stay away from.

• Racine
    Best Answer

When my oldest two were babies (over 8 years ago), I only bought name brand because I had some bad experiences with Luvs (a cheaper brand). I tried different styles and these were the best:

Swaddlers

Cruisers

Hands down, they fit the best and leaked the least. I believe you could also get Cruisers designed for boy or girl and they did work better.

HOWEVER, with my 3rd who is 15 months, we were forced to go generic thanks to the economy's impact on our budget. If you are willing to try a generic brand, I have tried MANY and the best one is actually from Dollar General! They are extremely absorbent, comfy, durable, good quality, and have soft sticky tabs. Aldi's generic diapers are exactly the same as DG's, but they only carry certain larger sizes. You can get the mega size for $5.99 at DG, and DG's generic wipes are just as good as Huggies brand, too. Festival Foods (a grocery store in Wisconsin) also carries a decent generic brand, but for $1.00 more than DG, and slightly lower quality. These two generic diapers always got through the night without a diaper change after the newborn stage (where they are pooping and peeing nonstop round the clock) and still do with no leaks.

The others I tried and didn't like (too flimsy, leaked, didn't fit well, or had scratchy tabs) were:

Luvs

Target

Walmart (Parent's Choice)

Walgreen's

Publix

It's okay to stock up! Have a small pkg of newborns ready, but baby will likely wear size ones for the first 2 to 3 months at least, and you'll go through a mega pack in about 3 days. Figure around 8-12 diapers a day at first to be safe.

I didn't really have any issues with rashes because we breastfed, and that alleviates rashes in a big way (and poops actually smell somewhat pleasant, believe it or not). I use Burt's Bees Diaper Cream (can get it from Target). It's a little expensive but really works like magic almost overnight!

If you get too many pkgs of diapers and baby outgrows them, you can exchange them for the next size up at the store no problem (I've done that several times).

One more thing: newborn baby skin is extremely sensitive and they will always have some level of irritation from diapers, so don't freak out if they get some rash, but keep them changed often, whenever they are wet and feel squishy, or you can smell pee. If they poop, change them without delay. Wipe & clean them well, let skin air dry if possible, and apply cream when you see a rash starting. Diapers are so absorbant, sometimes it's hard to tell that the baby peed. Change them after every feeding when they are newborns. That's every 2-3 hours!

Here is someone else's breakdown of the different diaper types. Looks like they rate Target brand over Aldi's (same as DG), but I found Target to leak, and they were constructed very similarly to Luv's brand. You should just try different brands and decide for yourself.

My advice is not to stock up. Everyone has different opinions on different brands, or there wouldn't be so many brands for sale! Depending on your child's needs and your desires, you might like different ones. I would recommend buying a pack each brand of size 1 diapers. By the time you run through them, you will most likely have determined which are best for you. Don't buy a lot of newborn sized diapers, because often babies don't even fit into them at birth, and those who do may grow out of them very quickly!

My personal preference is Luvs. I like the smell, the ease of getting them on, and the fact that we've never had diaper rash problems with them. They're also less expensive than Pampers or Huggies. Pampers are good, too, but so expensive that unless they were the ONLY ones that my daughter could wear, they're not worth the price.

I have 3 kids, 2 of which are still in diapers (my 3yo and 6mo). With my pre-teen I could use any diapers. At the time, LUVS was less expensive than Huggies etc and had a plastic feel. It actually is so frowned upon and was then, but I loved those diapers. As they changed to the paper/cloth type feel that they have now I moved on to dribottoms which I believe are now parent's choice.

With my 3yo she started out in Huggies preemies. She now wears Huggies size 6 (she has to potty train soon or we'll have to get Depends, lol). She will absolutely break out in a rash after so much as one diaper of a different brand.

My 6mo does well in any brand other than parents choice or the dollar general store brand. However, I just buy Huggies. $2 off coupons are easy to come by and the packs work out to being the same amount as the packs of Luvs. Any diaper less $$ than luvs tends to be so lacking in quality that you save no money. With the coupon, the cost is the same as Luvs and the quality is better.

You can join the Amazon mom club and get an amazing discount, as well.

Your baby will be different of course! I think most babies can use any diapers. I'm just Huggies loyal after my 3yo, plus I use the codes to get free packs occasionally. Also, if you ever get a bad pack of Huggies diapers and aren't totally satisfied all you have to do is let them know and provide proof of purchase and they will give you a voucher for a free pack. Good customer service is so rare these days

Source(s): Mom of 3...who talks too much! Sorry :)

The ones I hated were Parent's Choice and White Cloud from Walmart. Both of them leaked horribly (Both directions if you know what I mean) and gave my children rashes. All children are different. My 1st could use Pampers, Huggies, Luvs, the BJ's Wholesale Club brand, CVS and Rite Aid brands. Basically whatever I had a coupon for was what I bought for her. My 2nd could only use Pampers. Everything else gave her a rash. My 3rd, my son, could only use Huggies because everything else leaked for him. I would start stocking up but do so with small packages of multiple brands to see which one works best for your child. I would skip the big boxes until you know which one your prefer.

• I've found that it really depends on the baby as far as what causes rashes or what leaks. I love Target brand and use it for my daughter during the day, but I can't use them at night because they leak. The only 2 brands I've found that don't leak for her are Luvs and Huggies. But some people swear by Pampers and Walmart brand, so it's really just trial and error until you figure out what works for your baby.

I like pampers swaddlers. They fit my son really well and can last a couple of pees when he was younger. My favorite is with the strip on the front so that you can tell when they go. He's ten months and he uses the Cruisers now. Huggies & Luvvs don't really withstand night time. I hate having to wake my son just to change him. So when we used these, by morning he was soaked (clothes and all) Parents Choice has a good fit and can hold out a couple of pees but they feel like hard paper, I don't really get the feeling my son is comfortable in them. Pampers, may be a little more pricey, but they are worth it in my opinion :)

i havent had any problems with my son. i just realize with the way his body is shaped, huggies snug and dry are really the best for him! they offer a snug and dry fit around the legs... and the parts that attach to the front that hold the diaper in place arent big like the others i have tried - the others seemed to have scratched under his belly making little scratches :/. but the target diapers are inexpensive and amazing - but they dont fit to every babys body which means leaking during the 12 hour time sleep at night...

My daughter had to have pampers at first seemed like everything gave her a rash. Now she's just about potty trained we've lucked up and get to buy Parent's Choice which is great because boy do these kids go through clothes and food something crazy. I can't wait until she's potty trained.

I absolutly LOVE pampers. No other daipers are worth my money. Huggies arent bad either but I love pampers! They have such a nice feel to them and theyre only a couple of bucks more than the store brands which are so hard like cardboard.

I LOVEE Huggies andd Pampers.

Especially thee Pampers Swaddlers.

They indicatee when thee baby's wet.

Thee Parent's Choicee tend to makee my daughter fussier.

(I'm guessing they're uncomfortablee)

But if irratability or rash do happen to break out makee suree youu havee somee Desitin on hand:)