How often should you sweep the floor?

I think there's something wrong with my mum. She cleans the floor twice a day, and has some sort of routine - sweep upstairs and downstairs, then again with some cloth thing, then mops the bathrooms.

Isn't that too extreme even for a neat freak? Our house rarely has any visitors and my parents and I are both out on most days either for work or school. Still no matter how tired she is, my mum does that routine every single day.

This has been going on since forever. My dad and I try explaining to her but it's no use. l:

Thanks for the answers. :)

Well apparently she thinks it's normal. Our floor's not dirty at all, we all wear indoor slippers and everything. There's sometimes a few strands of hair or dust here and there and my mum freaks out.

Favorite Answer

Depends on how dirty your floor gets.

• moris

How To Sweep A Floor

• me

Sounds a bit obsessive to me. I don't think it has anything to do with your house being dirty. It's the same as those who keep washing their hands for hours because they 'feel' their hands are still dirty, or those who go about their day wearing a mask thinking that it will filter out germs but it does not. It's all in the mind. I clean my house once a week, and it's clean enough. If once in a while I see the floor dirty, I will sweep it or vacuum it in between the cleaning. Your mom should see a psychologist to see what the underlying issue is that prompts her to do this routine. However if it doesn't bother anyone and you all can live with it, there's really no harm done except you just have a sparking home at all time.

I have wood floors and I know for a fact that any dirt on the floors will scratch the floors and cause them to show wear faster, so I sweep once a day. Yeah, your mom is going over board a bit by doing this twice a day. However, you need to think..........it this really hurting anyone? Is it really so horrible that your mother is obsessed about having clan floors? Sometimes people with compulsive behaviors are just trying to control one little thing in their lives because they cannot control another part of their life.

Let it go and leave her alone, she is not hurting anyone and heck, you have a spotless floor all the while. Not bad.

You floor isn't dirty at all because she cleans it twice daily ;). I sweep once each day. I have five people worth of traffic running abouts the kitchen, hallway, and stairs.. Dirt, leaves, dust, and hair track in quite easily.. I also vacuum daily. You'd be surprised how filthy a home can look after one weeks worth of human traffic in a home without being swept or vacuumed.. I know because I've slacked and it's disgusting.

Does she have a job outside of the home? If not, she may feel this IS her job - to maintain a clean home. It's called being a "home maker", often refered to as Stay At Home Mom or House Wife..

It sounds like your mum is taking it to an extreme, but she's not hurting anyone by doing it, so let her clean her floors. :-)

She has obsessive compulsive disorder. Seek professional help or live with it.

once a week