Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Is this normal? Happens since I became an atheist?

I became an atheist a few months ago. I was a christian before. Now, for some reason, I care much more for all living things, for example I'm terribly scared of bugs and especially spiders, before (when I was a christian) I used to kill them and crush them but now I just take them out of the house. If I kill one by accident I feel a bit bad. And not only insects, all living things. I couldn't help but notice this difference. Is this normal to happen?

Favorite Answer

I don't know... but now that you pointed that it happened to me as well. I hate spiders but even then I take then out of my house rather than kill them. I have as well a lot of respect for animals and living things, I care too much about the environment as well.

I think is true what another user said "Christians are programmed to believe they are superior" usually they believe that and just them have a soul and are the pinnacle of god's creation... yeah right.

I'd say it's probably normal. I had the same thing happen to me as well. I think it was mostly because you're so worried about pleasing "God" and not doing anything wrong that you don't really care about anything else as compared to now when you actually get to sit down and smell the roses and not worry that you'll think something that'll displease "Him". It's something that really made me realize that I was really attuned with nature and brought me towards Paganism. The male-female duality and the not looking over your shoulder to make sure you're pleasing the Christian "God" or you'll go to hell is great.

Source(s): Personal Experience

How strange. For me it was the exact opposite. When I was an atheist i'd kill any bug i'd see. I mean they were just bugs so their life was worthless, but ever since I became a Christian I have learned to respect animal life.

Holy crap dude this I pretty weird, I was actually going over this thought in my head like half an hour ago. There is still a mosquito buzzing around my head right now but I still haven't slapped it like I use to. Funny that.

Edit: It's also pretty strange because I'm also a fairly new atheist. We might of just made a new discovery! This has literally blown me away, I can't believe how much of a coincidence this is.

We don't feel like we are superior I am an orthodox Christian and we are very humble yeah we're not perfect and I am far from perfect but don't say that we feel we are superior that really pisses me off cause until you have gone to every Christian church then you don't no **** and I can say the same about atheist putting a bloody santa on a cross you don't scare us so yeah

well I'm a christian and I've loved animals for as long as I can remember, i would feel terrible if I accidentally killed an insect... after all, they are all gods creation.

• JoN

It sounds like you grew up and matured a little. I'd say both these changes were going to happen anyway. And they are not related.

Only if God really cared, he would have made some of them them nicer he definitely made butterflies, birds and bees can't argue with that.

"The sheep shall look up, the cats shall purr, the dogs wag their tails and the birds shall sing more sweetly, when another one doth see the light".

Book of Bob 3.18

you have become a better person, you have learn to think for yourself in stead of listening to mens word from thousands of years ago, good for you