Jehovah's witnesses, what was the immidiate fullfillment of Amos 9:15?

According to what the passage says. When was this fullfilled and how could it have been pre 70 c.e. if the Israelites were kicked out again?

Amos 9:15 "I will plant the people of Israel in their land, and they won't be uprooted again from the land that I gave them, says the LORD your God."

Update:

Los Ateos - So your basically saying that this prophecy no longer applies and is therefor a null and void scripture. That would contradict 2 Tim 3:16. Also this scripture speak nothing of it being conditional. He speaks, "I will" "I shall"

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The problem with your question is that you link the year '70 C.E.' with this prophecy of the Israelites never being kicked out of their land. The problem is that the Israelites were rejected by God before that date, so any further fulfillment of prophecies on the 'Israelites' would be referring to spiritual Israel - the anointed Christians. The literal Israelites were rejected in 33 C.E., with spiritual Israel taking over in that same year.

The initial fulfillment of Amos 9:15, according to JW publications, was applied to spiritual Israel (w54 149; si 150).

I have also found agreement on this point in non-JW publications:

Ver. 15.—The blessing shall last for ever. They shall no more be pulled up. This was not true of the literal Israel; it must be taken of the spiritual seed, planted in God’s land, the Church of Christ, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail. ‘Lo,’ says Christ, “I am with you alway even unto the end of the world” (Matt. 28:20)

-- The Pulpit Commentary: Amos, H. D. M. Spence-Jones, Ed.

Although the postexilic community experienced a partial fulfillment of such promises as are made in 9:11–15, 157 their ultimate fulfillment awaited New Testament times. Jesus Christ in the line of David was the manifestation of God at work to change the word of wrath to the word of mercy. He founded the church, a God-blessed people, the Israel of God (Gal 6:16). He charged them to make disciples of “all the nations.” This part of the promise (Amos 9:12) is in process of fulfillment. The text, with its first-person verbs referring to God’s actions, makes clear that God is the one who restores, builds, plants, and blesses. It will not be by political coup, social revolution, or military maneuvers that Israel will regain its ascendancy. It will be by the coming of the Lord, who will heal his people and their land.

-- Smith, B. K., & Page, F. S.: Amos, Obadiah, Jonah; The New American Commentary

The blessings that the prophet pictures here are far greater than those experienced by post-exilic Israel. In the New Testament Amos’s picture of the rule of the Davidic king over the nations is applied to the expansion of Christ’s kingdom among the Gentiles (Acts 15:13–18; cf. Eph 3:6). No doubt there will be an greater application in the future (cf. Rom 8:19–23; 1 Cor 15:24–28; Rev 22:1–5).

-- Fleming, D. C. (1994). Concise Bible commentary

• 3 years ago

· What Do They Believe? EARTH . . . created through Jehovah . . . cared for through guy . . . inhabited eternally JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES think in Almighty God, Jehovah, Creator of the heavens and the earth. The very life of the intricately designed wonders within the universe surrounding us moderately argues that a supremely wise and robust Creator produced all of it. Just because the works of guys and females replicate their characteristics, so do the ones of Jehovah God. The Bible tells us that "his invisible characteristics are naturally obvious from the sector's construction onward, seeing that they're perceived through the matters made." Also, with out voice or phrases, "the heavens are mentioning the consideration of God."—Romans a million:20; Psalm 19:a million-four. People don't mildew clay pots or make tv units and computer systems with out a reason. The earth and its creations of plant and animal existence are way more awesome. The constitution of the human frame with its trillions of cells is past our know-how—even the mind with which we believe is incomprehensibly unusual! If guys have a reason in bringing forth their relatively insignificant innovations, without doubt Jehovah God had a reason in his notable creations! Proverbs sixteen:four says that he does: "Everything Jehovah has made for his reason." Jehovah made the earth for a reason, as he acknowledged to the primary human pair: "Be fruitful and turn out to be many and fill the earth . . . , have in subjection the fish of the ocean and the flying creatures of the heavens and each and every residing creature that's relocating upon the earth." (Genesis a million:28) Because they grew to be disobedient, this couple didn't fill the earth with righteous households who could lovingly handle the earth and its crops and animals. But their failure does now not make Jehovah's reason fail. Thousands of years later, it used to be written: "God, the Former of the earth . . . , didn't create it conveniently for not anything." He "shaped it even to be inhabited." It isn't to be destroyed, however "the earth endures for ever." (Isaiah forty five:18; Ecclesiastes a million:four, The New English Bible) Jehovah's reason for the earth can be learned: "My possess suggest will stand, and the whole lot that's my pride I shall do."—Isaiah forty six:10. Hence, Jehovah's Witnesses think that the earth will stay eternally and that everybody, residing and lifeless, who will have compatibility in with Jehovah's reason for a beautified, inhabited earth would possibly survive it eternally. All mankind inherited imperfection from Adam and Eve and, thus, are sinners. (Romans five:12) The Bible tells us: "The wages sin will pay is dying." "The residing are mindful that they're going to die; however as for the lifeless, they're mindful of not anything in any respect." "The soul that's sinning—it itself will die." (Romans 6:23; Ecclesiastes nine:five; Ezekiel 18:four, 20) Then how can they reside once more to proportion within the earthly advantages? Only by way of the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus, for he stated: "I am the resurrection and the existence. He that physical activities religion in me, although he dies, will come to existence." "All the ones within the memorial tombs will listen his voice and are available out."—John five:28, 29; eleven:25; Matthew 20:28. How will this come approximately? It is defined in "the well information of the dominion," which Jesus began to proclaim at the same time on the planet. (Matthew four:17-23) But at present Jehovah's Witnesses are preaching the well information in an overly specified method.

• lillie
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

In fulfillment of the restoration prophecy recorded in Amos chapter 9, a repentant remnant of Israel and Judah returned from Babylonian captivity in 537 B.C.E. Back in their beloved homeland, they restored pure worship. In security, they also rebuilt their houses and planted vineyards and gardens.

Source(s): watchtower magazine
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Greetings,

When you accept what the Bible really teaches it is easy to see the errors inherent in your questions and comments.

According to the God's Word He rejected natural Israel and brought into being a "Spiritual" Israel made up of Jew and Gentile. This "Israel of God" was now the focus of the Abrahamic Covenant and all other restoration prophecies.

Gal 3:29 says the "seed of Abraham" are made up of all nations who belong to Christ not fleshly Israel (Gal 3:16,29; 6:15,16; Rm 2:28,29; 9:24-27; Eph 2:11-16; Hos 2:23; 1Cor.10:18). Only a few Natural Jews would be saved (Isa 10:21, 22; Ro 9:27).

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, ...for you are all one person in union with Christ Jesus. Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham's seed, heirs with reference to a promise."-Gal.3:27-29

God's Word states: "He is not a Jew who is one on the outside, nor is circumcision that which is on the outside upon the flesh. But he is a Jew who is one on the inside, and his circumcision is that of the heart by spirit." (Rm.2:28, 29; 9:6).

So, from God's standpoint, it is no longer natural descent from Abraham that determines who are Abraham's seed. Replacing natural Israel as God's nation, the congregation of anointed Christians becomes a new "Israel" that is "really 'Israel'" (Rm.2:28-29; 9:6-9; 11:7). As in the case of the Ephesians, who previously had been "alienated from the state of Israel," now non-Jews could be sealed with God's spirit and become His chosen nation (Eph 2:11-13; 3:5, 6; Ac 15:14).

Speaking to the Jewish religious leaders; Jesus said: "This is why I say to YOU, The kingdom of God will be taken from YOU and be given to a nation producing its fruits (Mt.21:42-43).

"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent forth to her. . .Look! Your house is abandoned to you."-Mt. 23:37,38

The saving of "all Israel" is accomplished, not by conversion of all the Jews, but by the ‘coming in' of people from Gentile nations.

"...a dulling of sensibilities has happened in part to Israel until the full number of people OF THE NATIONS has come in, and in this manner all Israel will be saved." -Rm.11:25, 26

The beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses follow the interpretation of Christ and the Apostles in applying the restoration prophecies to the spiritual Israel as the antitypical “12 tribes.”

The clear and irrefutable teaching of the New Testament provides absolutely no fulfillment of these prophecies in the natural Jews or the literal land of Israel but it is always applied to a spiritual "Israel" that is "really 'Israel'" and not a natural Jew (Rm.2:28-29; 9:6-9).

Your interpreting these prophecies as having a fulfillment on the literal Israelites or natural Jews is in complete contradiction to all the explicit Scriptural teachings which show that God has rejected natural Israel.

The only way to maintain your interpretation is to completely ignore all the explicit statement in God's Word that He is NOT using natural Israel.

So your interpretations must be rejected.

The restoration prophecies of Ezekiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah are in line with the prophecies of Christ regarding the complete restoration of True Worship that would come at the "time of the end" (Ac.3:20- 21; 20:29-30; Lk.19:11,12; Mt.25:21-30; 2Thes.2:3-12; 1Tim.4:1; 2Pt.2:1-3).

At "the conclusion of the system of things...the righteous ones would then shine as brightly as the sun" (Mt.13:24-30, 36- 43; 24:45-47; Dan.12:1,3,4,10).

By their biblical beliefs and Christlike actions Jehovah's Witnesses prove that they are fulfilling the restoration prophecy of Ezekiel regarding faithful spiritual Israel. This is the testimony of the Holy Spirit (1Cor. 6:9-11; Gal.5:19-22).

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Lord (Jehovah) always said these promises if His people would continue to worship Him-but they

didn't. Today the tribal records are gone and they don't use Jehovah's Name any more. They are allowed

to exist the same as the other Nations.

Source(s): Matthew 24:14 Psalm 83:18
  • 8 years ago

Jesus Christ, the Head of this Christian congregation, is elsewhere identified as the “son of David” who inherits “the throne of David his father” and rules forever. (Luke 1:32, 33; 3:31) Thus the prophecy of Amos points forward to the fulfillment of the covenant with David for a kingdom. Not only do the concluding words of Amos give a marvelous vision of overflowing prosperity at the time of raising up “the booth of David” but they also underline the permanence of God’s Kingdom: “‘And I shall certainly plant them upon their ground, and they will no more be uprooted from their ground that I have given them,’ Jehovah your God has said.” Earth will abound with everlasting blessings as Jehovah fully restores “the booth of David”!—Amos 9:13-15.

THE prophecy recorded at Amos 9:11-15 began to be fulfilled by the work of Christ Jesus and his apostles at the first presence. We know this is so because this prophecy was quoted by James at a special meeting held in Jerusalem at the time there was so much discussion concerning the circumcision of Gentiles who turned to the true religion. Peter first testified that “God made the choice among you that through my mouth people of the nations should hear the word of the good news and believe; . . . And he made no distinction at all between us and them, but purified their hearts by faith.” Barnabas and Paul related the many signs and wonders that God did through them among the nations. After they quit speaking James answered, saying, “Brothers, hear me. Symeon [Peter] has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. And with this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written, ‘After these things I shall return and rebuild the royal palace of David that has fallen down, and I shall rebuild its ruins and erect it again, in order that those who remain of the men may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things which he has known from of old.’”—Acts 15:7-18, NW.

No great building program to erect a palace of stone was commenced at that time, but what did happen was that the promised restoration of the royal line of Judah became a fact, even though but a few at that time received the King and the nation as a whole was cast off because of unbelief. Jesus said: “Look! your house is abandoned to you. For I say to you, You will by no means see me from henceforth until you say, ‘Blessed is he that comes in Jehovah’s name!’” (Matt. 23:38, 39, NW) As a nation they never did so. However, Jehovah’s purpose did not fail, for he turned to the nations to call from them the required number for the Royal Palace. Though Jehovah had a perpetual breach with the natural house of Israel, yet the breach was healed toward those who make up the spiritual royal house by Jesus Christ, the great healer of the breach and restorer of true religion.

Jesus Christ was the “foundation stone” of Zion. He was the Kingdom Heir and the sanctuary’s “foundation cornerstone.” He said to the Jews: “Break down this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” “Therefore the Jews said: ‘This temple was built in forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?’ But he was talking about the temple of his body.” (John 2:18-21,

• 8 years ago

Full disclosure: This was not my original answer..

Of course the answer below me makes sense. God's promises to his chosen people were always contingent on their own behavior... their obedience to him. They consistently broke that promise and so Jehovah was not bound to keep his end of the bargain so to speak.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.