Do you think that Thanksgiving is a celebration of the genocide and land theft that Native Americans suffered?

I have mixed feelings about Thanksgiving :/

I think a day to be thankful is great but what are we celebrating really? What does giving thanks have to do with what really happened? (Not the sugar coated story they teach you at school.) Plus everything people care about nowadays is Black Friday and buying sht they can't afford, they don't even give thanks for all they already have. -__-

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You know, I have mixed feeling about this holiday too!! Being someone of mixed cultures and ethnicities, I don't really understand why we celebrate this holiday if it's basically genocide. But what I like about it is it brings people together, which is something we lack in society nowadays.

• ?

I am thankful every day for what I have. And I did hit up the Black Friday sales and bought sht I CAN afford. What was I "celebrating"? The fact that I got a turkey for $.58/pound. The fact that I got to spend the day with my family and provide a darn good meal for them. The fact that we are healthy, happy and taken care of. I am very blessed to have 4 awesome sons, a roof over our heads, and a good man by my side.

I have seen so many similar questions posted on this topic in the last two days. I really don't understand how our "celebration" is all that different than that of the rest of the U.S. I highly doubt the non-Native population pays tribute to the original meaning of Thanksgiving. They too just use it as a day to be around the people they are grateful to have in their lives. And in my husbands case, a day to be thankful for the Packers having a great season.

As Native people, we have lots to be thankful for- that's why we are thankful everyday. We don't need a day designated for it, but it is nice to have a day where the kids don't have school and hubby is making some extra loot. It seems that everyone expects us to be dwelling on the past. The truth is, we live in the here and now. What's done is done. We have enough problems today to spend our time focusing on the atrocities committed in the past. Everyone thinks the genocide of Native Americans somehow came to a halt years ago but the truth is, it's still going on. I bet no non-Natives sit down to eat thinking about the real first Thanksgiving. Why is it so impossible to believe that we aren't either?

Source(s): Native, cooked my ass off today to do something special for the people I love
  • ?

No. The first several thanksgivings (in the 1500s by the Spanish and the French, and the early 1600s by the English) all predated the "genocide" as you put it (though I would argue that most of the killing was done accidentally by small pox and other diseases and therefore couldn't be considered a genocide, there was certainly a lot of purposeful killing of Native Americans, so we'll leave that point for another argument). There has certainly been a lot sugar coating, but I certainly wouldn't say modern thanksgiving is a "celebration" of genocide or land theft.

No, it's not. The truth is the only thing our Thanksgiving has to do with the death of Native Americans is that they showed up for 1 dinner over 400 years ago.

1) Thanksgiving is rooted in harvest festivals. Every culture/country has some kind of harvest celebration.

2) There were "feasts of Thanksgiving" in Europe & North America before the Pilgrims ever came here. They didn't have the first Thanksgiving, it was just *their* first Thanksgiving

3) The Pilgrims did not come here with genocide in mind and ultimately it was later settlers and a number of elements responsible for the decline of the Natives.

4) Our Thanksgiving day was made a holiday by presidential decree in the 1860s because Sarah Hale, a magazine editor, wrote letters for 40 years to get a holiday focusing on hearth & home. She thought the industrial revolution was eroding American values. It had nothing to do with the Natives.

5) No one toasts what happened to the Natives around the table. Many tribal cultures have declined in history, every civilization eventually rises and falls. It was/is tragic. But that's just not the purpose of celebrating a harvest festival

6) New generations cannot mourn forever more for what happened to past generations. We can't wallow in regret for things done before we were born. Everyone deserves to be able to celebrate life and holidays and traditions as they see fit-- not be made to feel guilty for something that happened in the past.

7) There are Native Americans who celebrate Thanksgiving, too... my friend grew up on a reservation and she celebrates every year. She's been to my house to share with our family a few times.

8) If people want to commercialize their holidays, that's their business. If you don't want to, then don't.

Personally I don't give a crap about the whole spiritual essence behind it, or any holiday for that matter. I just use it as an excuse to have a huge feast, and be happy. You're right in questioning this though, the white man will always give you his sugar coated version of history. If you watch the history channel when they talk about ancient Egypt, they always fail to mention why all (or most) of the statues/sculptures are missing their noses. It's because Europeans, upon discovering the vast wonder of Egyptian culture, destroyed the noses, seeing that the noses indicated a more African race.

You are totally right. Thanksgiving is a big phony. People would thumb me down for this, but it's true. People have their own beliefs, and one belief is the "Manifest Destiny." A reason to steal a WHOLE nation controlled by indigenous peoples, because they think it was God's will. That's like saying "OH, I KILLED OFF THE CHINESE POPULATION BECAUSE IT WAS GOD'S WILL." (That never happened).

People will continue to buy and buy, but they will never be satisfied. So, "thank you" will never suffice in this nation.

This is my belief. Like I said, everyone has their own belief.

~Zuki

Edit: By the way, I will NEVER go to Black Friday. Black Friday is bull crap for many reasons. One reason I can interpret is ITEMS WILL BE LOWERED EVEN MORE NEXT YEAR. There is absolutely no reason to freeze your as* off outside, and wait for things that are meaningless to your life. "OH, I'd rather catch hypothermia than to not buy this product I can purchase for even a lower price next year!" IGNORANT.

~Zuki

You're sensible which is a nice change of pace but let's be honest, 99% of Americans don't even think about why they are here and what it took to get here. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Ha ha, no. It is a celebration of GIVING THANKS (well, to me anyway)

LOL about the "sugar coated story" too...someone sounds a little bitter :)

• ?

I agree. I only celebrate it because my family does.

I totally agree...its bs