Maithany asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

do rabbits dig holes in the ground ?

i want to get a holland lop but my mum keeps telling me that it would dig holes in our garden.. is this true?

if it is true why would a rabbit dig a hole ? i heard female rabbits dig holes when they're pregnant but thats it ..

which is better to get ? a female or male rabbit .. which one makes the least mess..

• catx
    Favorite Answer

Yes they can dig but not all dig! My two don't dig, but I didn't get them until they were already 4 years old, maybe they did when they were babies, who knows! They can't be bothered now, too much grass to eat instead!

And both sexes make mess, when you own a bunny you don't own it at all, it owns you and they know it!! Great little animals but like nothing more than redecorating newly swept up areas with hay and look very disgruntled when its tidied up again.

Here are my two, far too busy playing to dig! (They're brother and sister and very much neutered!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQIiA7dnKQ

Youtube thumbnail

Whereas Howard here (he's not mine) is a very very accomplished digger.

Youtube thumbnail

There's no predicting whether a rabbit is a digger or not. They can usually be appeased with a digging box though! (Underbed storage box filled with hay and treats, or earth, or even snow in the winter time!)

• ?

Yes a rabbit loves to dig, however if you provide toys for your rabbit boxes for him/her to play with, provide plenty of play time then bunny will not get bored..

Remodeling, Giving your bunny something to 'remodel' will give its natural burrow building instincts a work out, and hopefully save your furniture. Cardboard boxes make excellent remodeling centers for rabbits. Tape them up, cut a couple of holes in them so the rabbit can run through, and you have a toy that the rabbit can chew to its satisfaction, not to mention run around, hide in and behind, and other fun bunny things.

You can provide for your rabbit to dig on, old used phone books, boxed full of hay and shredded paper. Digging is a natural behavior for rabbits...

My rabbit dose not dig up my yard... Sex of the rabbit dose not matter.. sex of the rabbit dose not determine if the rabbit is going to make a mess or not... I do suggest to you before you get a rabbit do your homework don't just ask Q on YA research the internet about this smart creature...

If you get a rabbit because you think they are a dull but pretty creature that would sit in a small cage all day, then you chose the wrong pet...

Source(s): Rabbit owner..

Don't put concrete in. It's natural for rabbits to dig holes but make sure they can't get out. If the run is wire then dig it into the ground so they can't escape.

If you don't know that it is natural for European Rabbits to live in large social communities in underground burrows which are called "warrens" then you are not ready to be a rabbit owner. We had one we kept in an off the ground hutch but had a big fenced play yard and he dug a tunnel over 9 feet long. He did not do it to get out of the fence but just because that is what rabbits do.

The answer is YES. Rabbits can and do burrough the ground. Remember "Alice"? in wonderland? I believe she fell down a rabbit hole did she not? I have a family of rabbits living underneath my utility shed in the back yard. They dug down deep enough to get under the botoom of it and moved right in. Well ... Winter is upon us, so I guess they need a place to stay for the winter too. Hope this helps you. P.S., I would naturally assume that a female would be better than a male. Male animals like to "Mark" their territory. This could get a bit messy "P U" AND ,...If I'm not mistaken...you can house train them to go in a litterbox, just like a cat. But,..don't quote me on that one.

Source(s): My back yard

they dig holes to live in (burrows)

and they also dig small dips to lay in so they dont show up to predators looking at the horizon.

both will dig, and you'll need a pair to keep them happy. they arent that messy, but if you cant handle that then maybe a rabbit's not right for you.

http://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/before-you...

• Ocimom

Yes if they are out in the garden long enough they will do some digging.