kate9274 asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Is my hermit crab dead?

I'm meant to be looking after my friends hermit crab for just under a month while she is in Nepal for World Challenge. I got it on Monday and it is now Thursday, and I quickly decided to check on him before I went to bed tonight, only to discover that his shell was on one side of the tank and he was sitting, not moving at all on the other side.

Is he dead?

I have never had hermit crabs before, thankfully she knows this and said she won't blame me if he dies.

But he was alive this morning, then I came home, and yeah...

Also the max temperature today was 34 degrees Celsius, could that have killed him? Although I don't think it was that hot inside the house.

I'm thinking maybe he is dead, and he died from the heat?

haha he's dead. Well that was a big fail. He was alive for 4 out of the 28 days I was meant to have him.

Favorite Answer

It don't mean to sound rude, but I do not think its very funny that your friend's hermit crab died. He literally baked to death. He left his shell to try to cool down, and therefore died. Also, tell your friend to purchase 2 or more crabs next time because they like to live in colonies.

Oh my, that is very high. You need to get that back down as fast as you can. Hermit crabs are only suppose to have a maximum temperature of 29C. You will know when he is dead because he will through off a dead fishy smell. He has dropped his shell because it got to hot for him and he is in desperate need cooling down. I hope it is not too late for him. Try and get the tank down and please write me for further info. I will hook you up to a site that will help you. The people there are awesome. The site is called Landhermitcrabs.com. You will have to join, but don't let that stop you. You will have to post your problem under crab illness or streaking. I am a member of the forum and let me tell you, I owe my crabs lives to them. I couldn't praise that site enough. It is a site that you should really look into going to for some info and help with your crabs.

Source(s): Crab Owner Landhermitcrabs.com

I know hermit crabs do leave their shells... Usually to find another shell... But just like tap on the glass and try to make him move... At least if he died from the heat you'll have a nice crab snack :D

Haha 34 sounds a bit on the high side:)

Sorry but I think he is dead what you can try to make sure if taking like a piece of paper and putting it in his claw that would stimulate a reaction to clamp his claw in it if not he is probably dead.

• ReadLr

try put your hand in it's tank, feel the heat...if it too warm just low the heat, and you try to touch that hermit crabs...if it still moving take a spray misting bottle and mist him, maybe he just dehydrated...

Sounds very dead.

he may be trying to regrow his shell, hermit crabs shed and regrow the shell that they live inside of

Poke him with a stick and see if he moves

Source(s): Ma tete

poke him with a stick thats what i do when i think one of my pets are dead and it has worked everytime