R&P: What are your favorite songs you've listened to/played on a jukebox?

On this day in 1899 the world's first jukebox was installed at San Fransisco's' Palais Royal Hotel.

I made a great investment a few years back, buying a replica Wurlitzer juke box...

MQ: What are your favorite songs that you've listened to/played on a jukebox?

http://tomszone.com/tophits.htm

BQ: Any jukebox memories you'd care to share?

Cheers!

• Best Answer

ZZ Top's Gimme All Your Lovin'

BQ I used to go to this place for kids to hang out after school with all my friends. It was literally called "The Hangout". LOL We would put quarters in the jukebox and shoot pool.

There were arcade games,pool tables,a snack bar and couches & chairs. It was a cool place. I met 3 of my X b'f's there. I had NO idea until later that they were ALL cousins! Tom,Kurt & Todd... Too crazy! But hey... I never *slept* with ANY of them. I was a good "bad girl" back then.

I'd love to pay you a visit to see your Wurlitzer.

MQ

The theme from "A Summer Place" - Percy Faith

Last date - Floyd Cramer

Sleepwalk - Santo & Johnny

My happiness - Connie Francis

He's my dreamboat - Connie Francis

Don't break the heart that loves you - Connie Francis

There's a moon out tonight - The Capris

My heart sings - Paul Anka

Blue angel - Roy Orbison

Loving you - Elvis Presley

One summer night - The Danleers

That's old-fashioned - The Everly Brothers

Let's go, let's go, let's go - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters

Jim Dandy - Lavern Baker

Mashed potato time - Dee Dee Sharp

Volare - Bobby Rydell

Be my guest - Fats Domino

Beyond the sea - Bobby Darin

The stroll - The Diamonds

The walk - Jimmy McCracklin

Believe what you say - Ricky Nelson

Ruby Ann - Marty Robbins (EXTREMELY popular dance song with my classmates)

BQ

I remember the soda shop that was the popular hangout with my high school's student body had a jukebox. There was a boy named Tony that never danced with any girl. He slouched by the wall behind the jukebox where the music was fairly loud. He would occasionally talk with a few friends, but he spent hours shuffling around and leaning against the wall.

Also, the Mondo chicks (the girls with the massive bouffants and tight skirts and heavy makeup who hung out with the Mondo "greaser" guys) kinda "owned" the sodashop's jukebox. The Mondos always sat in the booths closest to the jukebox to keep all their favorite songs playing. As a boy I always found the petulant-looking Mondos intimidating. Nobody dared look at them sideways. Doing so would quickly spark a nasty confrontation. Mondos were as quick to lash out as a kicked nest of angry hornets. They were a tough bunch of kids, but damn, they were exceptionally good dancers.

Cheers!

I used to be a huge freak with playing the jukebox when I'd hang out in bars. My favorite song was this one.

Jail Break - Thin Lizzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDolGOLPzdo

Youtube thumbnail

bq: There was this one bar that had a jukebox with a telephone on it. You'd call a dj that was in the basement with just about every album you can think of. I'd go there after work and listen to whole albums of Led Zeppelin or Miles Davis and a bunch of other albums. I probably could have bought a house with all the cash I blew playing the jukebox along with other things people buy in bars.

• Emily

Teddy Bear by Elvis because it reminds me of a funny Jukebox story about my dad. When he was little he used to go to this restaurant that had a Jukebox and this was probably 1960. Well he knew the numbers by heart, and played that song all the time...that was the only song actually. And this man walked up to play a song while my dad who was about 7 at the time, watched him closely, the man put a dime in and my dad pressed the number as fast as he could before the man had a chance to play his song of choice lol

Some other songs I like that are great classics on the jukebox are I Fall to Pieces by Patsy Cline, Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison, When Will I be Loved- The Everly Brothers, Tutti Frutti-Little Richard

• Mrs H

When I was a kid I was always playing Fats Domino

My best memory is actually from the '70s. The people at the Steak shop I frequented

were all in a great mood and had the thing loud and put on Jambalaya by The Blue Ridge

Rangers aka John Fogerty. One of the local guys came dancing in from the door to the

counter

• We had a jukebox at college in the student lounge. Can't tell you how many hours I spent there playing pool & listening to:

"Kiss You All Over" ~ Exile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP6WoL-QdnE

Youtube thumbnail

"Blinded By The Light" ~ Manfred Mann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBifX0H3yg

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

"A Day In The Life" ~ The Beatles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

Youtube thumbnail

• Bear

Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd & The Pirates.

Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis.

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC.

Ace Of Spades - Motorhead.

Rock n Rolling Brew - Meatloaf & Cher.

Johnny B Goode - Dr.Feelgood(Live).

When I was in Graduate School.....used to go play pool and drink beverages at a local establishment. They had a juke box and never changed the records, so I would end up playing the same songs.

Red Rain - Peter Gabriel

Midnight Confessions - Grass Roots

Black Water - Doobie Brothers

Amie - Pure Prairie League

I'm No Angel - Gregg Allman

Obviously, after a few beers, sing a longs were mandated.

I haven't been a bar fly for well over 10 years, but when you're paying for individual songs, the longer the better; more for the money.

Allman Brothers-Whipping Post live

The Doors- When the Music's Over, The End

In A Gadda Da Vida

Bob Dyan-Joey

Pepper some songs like this in with the normal length ones and a couple dollars will go a long way.

Wow...

Anything BUT Until a Tear Becomes a Rose...there was this old timer at the bar I used to work at, occasionally he'd buy a roll of quarters & plug ONLY that damn song...we used to call him the Mayor of _____. He had a steel plate in his head from an accident at the rolling mills...you had to cut him some slack, but DAMN...I truly hate that song now, at least the customers could leave on those nights...LOL

I used to love cranking Dr. Feelgood after last call...or any other really heavy upbeat tunes. Got me moving for cleanup & chased all the C&W customers out promptly.

My favourite juke box memory isn't even mine, LOL, it's my parents...

Salisbury House restaurant on Pembina Highway had a copy of Honey Love, banned at the time due to it's 'scandalous' lyrics. The kids used to congregate & wheel the juke box out onto the parking lot until the cops would come & bust it up....