Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Is Christianity corrupt?

I recently found out some things about my religion. Christmas and Easter are on pagan holidays. I also found out that the sabbath day was changed to Sunday. Plus the bible has changed and has so many different versions. Plus christianity has so many different religion within its self. So many rulers have added and taken away from the bible and it seems that true Christianity has changed into what it is today.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Greetings,

By their biblical beliefs and Christlike actions Jehovah's Witnesses prove that they are fulfilling the restoration prophecies regarding the true Christian congregation.

Scripture prophecies and historical facts make it clear that while there would always be true Christians throughout history they would be hard to identify because True Christianity would disappear among the "weeds" of apostate and imitation Christians. However, in the "last days" there would be a restoration.

Christ foretold that the symbolic wheat would only be separated from the weeds, or false Christians, at "the conclusion of the system of things...and the righteous ones would then shine as brightly as the sun" (Mt.13:24-30, 36-43; 24:45-47; 25:21- 30; Ac.3:20- 21; 20:29-30; Lk.19:11,12; 2Thes. 2:3-12; 1Tim.4:1; 2 Pet.2:1-3; Dan.12:1,3,4,10).

Jesus' words show that he appointed a "faithful slave" in the first century, but at his Parousia in the "last days" that "slave" would be given greater authority by being appointed over "all his belongings" (Mt.24:45-47; Lk.12:36-46).

This is also confirmed by statements of Paul and John. Paul showed that as soon as the Apostles were gone there would come an apostasy that would last until Christ's return (Ac 20:29; 2Thes.2:1-8; 2 Pet.2:1-3). John stated that Antichrist was growing and was about to arrive in force (1Jn 2:18).

Only during Christ's presence would true Christians be clearly differentiated from the false.

This is not something only Jehovah's Witnesses teach. Even the Protestant "fathers" believed this. If Luther and Calvin had believed that Christianity did not need restoring, would have been compelled to remain Roman Catholic.

These scriptures make it clear that we would be able to identify True Christians in the "last days."

The Scriptures give us solid and uncomplicated evidence that can be used to identifying true Christians. The basic criteria would be that as a group this "congregation" would be imitating Christ in actions and belief (1Pt.2:21; Jn.13:14-15; Mt.16:24).

The True religion would be primarily known for it's love toward all (Jn.13:34,35; 1Jn.3:10-12; 4:7, 8). This would include their enemies (Mt.5:44-48; Rm.12:17-20; 1Pt.2:21-23; 3:8- 9). It would not participate in or condone carnal war (2Cor.10:3,4; Isa.2:4).

Another evidence is that the true religion would be made up of people who would all be in agreement on doctrine. It would not have members who believe differently on abortion, war, homosexuality or morals. Its members would not "agree to disagree" (1Cor.1:10; 2Cor.13:11; Phil.1:27). The unprecedented unity and peace that exists among Jehovah's Witnesses is further confirmation from the Holy Spirit.

The true religion would have a reputation for promoting exceptional morality in its members (Gal.5:19ff; 1Cor.6:9,10; Eph.5:3-5; 2Pt.3:14; 2Cor.7:1; 2Tim.3:5). In my experience ONLY Jehovah's Witnesses as a whole group *require* their members to live in accord with Biblical morality.

The true Church would be engaged in an unprecedented teaching activity (Mt.24:14, 28:19, 20). JWs are engaged in the greatest Bible education work ever done in all human history (Mt.24:14; 28:18-20). They are publishing more Biblical literature than has ever done before in all human history. Every one of them are imitating Christ in preaching, teaching.

True Christians would be separated by "truth" from God's Word (Jn.17:17; 4:23). They would teach doctrinal truth untainted by syncretistic and unscriptural beliefs (Jn.4:22-24; Mk.7:13). All its teachings would be based on the Bible (2Tim. 3:14-16; Gal. 1:8, 9).

Witnesses have discarded unbiblical and false doctrines such as hell fire and the immortal soul. On the other hand, most religions have proved that they will not change their doctrines even though their own scholars admit these beliefs are not taught in Scripture.

Today, religions have moved even further away from the Bible's requirements and teachings. Christendom and has NEVER met the identifying requirements of True Christianity. Its historical record has always been one of bloodthirsty wars, immorality, sectarian violence and factional splits (Mt.7:21-23; 2Tim3:5; Gal.5:19-23; 1Jn.3:10,15; 4:8). In both world wars and current conflicts people of the same religions slaughtered one another. Each side was supported by its clergy, who claimed that God was on their side. This was a denial of any claim to being the true Church (cf. Mt.26:52).

Our hearts and the historical record tells us that any of these religions cannot possibly be representatives of True Christianity.

The evidence is that only Jehovah's Witnesses can meet the Scriptural requirements of being the restored Christian congregation and "the pillar and support of Truth" (1Tim. 3:15). Only Witnesses can meet all the requirements for being

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

What you learned were accusations, and not facts. Calling Christian observances "pagan' only serves to "poison the well". Romans 14 has Paul stating that Christians are free to esteem a day, or not esteem a day. If that day is celebrated as the birth of Christ -- an important event -- yet we do not know the actual day, that does not mean we cannot observe the day according to our Christian liberty.

The same with Christ's resurrection.

As far as the sabbath day being changed to Sunday, this is a lie perpetrated by sabbatarians. The sabbath was a condition and requirement within the confines of the old covenant. When that covenant ended, so too ended the conditions of that covenant. The new covenant has no requirement to observe days like the sabbath. Sunday was never established as a day of rest but rather corporate worship. By claiming a "change of day" people are tricked into thinking they have to keep the old covenant sabbath, contrary to New Testament theology. Note especially Acts 15.

• Neerp
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Christmas and Easter are indeed on pagan holidays, but does that change their meaning any? Who really cares whether or not they occur on pagan holidays or not? We don't observe the pagan holiday, we observer Christmas and Easter regardless of what day they occur on.

Yes, the Bible manuscripts have been changed numerous times, more than most Christians realize. Scribes have added to and taken away from the Bible quite a bit, and most Christians would be shocked if they knew how much. Did you know the story of the woman taken in adultery was not original in John's gospel? Some scribe added it later. Did you know that Mark originally ended with the women being told to go tell the apostles of the Lord's resurrection? The last dozen versus or so were added later by some scribe.

Is Christianity corrupt? For the most part, yes. Here is how you can tell if someone is a Christian. Jesus said "by their fruits ye shall know them". That is the definitive test, by their "fruits".

What are these fruits?

Love. Longsuffering. Gentleness. Faith in Christ. Meekness. Peace. Goodness. Self-control.

Those that have this are Christians. Those that do not, are ... well, I'm not going to say they are not Christian, for that is not for me to say, but I will say that they have some problems, and just might not have the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I heard a wise man say that the purpose of the Gospel of Jesus Christ was to make evil men good, and good men better :-)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I was once where you are. For starters I believe the Bible is 100% true. With that said, religion has muddying the waters. Read the book of Jude (its one chapter) & read the 1 Timothy. They describe how churches & sects depart from the faith. You can even find examples of men teaching falsely as early as Acts 15 when men visited the church of Antioch teaching / preaching contrary to the TRUE gospel.

There are 20,000+ Bible manuscripts in the original Hebrew & Greek. I read the King James Bible because when cross referenced with them its the only English version to conform to the manuscripts. What happens is people don't like something they read, edit it and come out with their own version of the Bible. Also, outside the UK the King James is public domain. Publishers don't get rich selling it. In order to have a copyright it needs to be a 10% unique work. So publishers have a financial advantage to change the words, get a copyright and get rich. After all the Bible is the best seller of ALL TIME. They want a piece

As for the holidays. I wont put ALL the blame on the Catholic church but contrary to Catholic history, they are not the original church. Google: Emperor Constantine. He formed the Catholic church then went around conquering lands in the name of Jesus. Being pagan himself, they FORCED people in to the state religion ( Catholicism but not by name yet) which was a Christian / pagan hybrid. All through the Bile Jerusalem is the holy city, not Rome / the Vatican. There is actually no Biblical record of Peter going to Rome and forming their faith (as they teach). This also has been taught in schools because the Catholic church dominated western culture for 1,000 years. But it is easy to find the truth if you want to.

With that said Christmas, Easter and so on DO have pagan / Catholic roots. Was Jesus born? YES! Did he Die and resurrects? YES! . ..when? Well the catholic picked the dates based on pagan holidays. It was easier to get the Romans to "switch" to new state religion if they were allowed to keep their traditions and holidays. 99% of what we call Christmas is not Biblical. Example: every year stories are told of 3 wise men meeting Jesus in the manger. Not only does the Bible give no number of men but read Matthew 2:11 to see where they REALLY met Jesus. The shepherds in Luke 2 went to the manger (not the wise men). References to shepherd being outside at the time also indicates it wasn't December BUT no date is given anywhere.

As for Easter . . .yes it is a Pagan holiday it is mentioned only ONCE in the King James and by reading the order of events and timeline you can see it refers to the pagan celebration. Here is another mythbuster. If Jesus was crucified on Good Friday spend 3 days and 3 nights in the ground as the Bible says all over why do churches teach he resurrected on Sunday? We celebrate because Matthew 28:1 & John 20:1 says "the firs day of the week". But get this . . Good Friday is NOT Biblical. Its a pagan accommodation mixed with the fact that mentions of the sabbath approaching almost make it seem like it was a Friday but holidays (passover) are all so a day of rest (sabbath).

Lastly, meeting on a sunday. The book of Romans does a great job explaing the law and the purpose of them. The sabbath is specifically addressed in Romans 14:5-6. There are numerous examples of the apostles and early church meeting on Sundays. Sunday worship isn't in conformity with the Old Testament law because the purpose of the sabbath has been fulfilled through Christ. 7 Day Adventists still meet on Saturday to conform with the law but they no longer have to.

We could go on all day but I will leave you with 3 verses. Psalms 12:6-7 promises God's word is TRUTH and will last forever. In Matthew 28:20 Jesus promises his church will last until the end of the world. 1 Timothy 3:15 says the church is the pillar and ground of the TRUTH.

True churches are hard to find but there are churches out there that stand strong and are grounded in the truth (God's word). If you have any questions and if there is anything I can do to help please send me a message.

Source(s): THE source is the Bible but a great REsource is http://biblebased.net
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike S
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

That is the theisis of my blog...Biblical myths and truths....you are correct both Christmas and Easter are both Pagan holidays and the Sabbath was never changed to Sunday...its always been Saturday.......

" The little horn tried to change the set times and laws but failed".......A new day begins at Sunset and not midnite.....and the Sabbath is Saturday and not Sunday.........

• shokat
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

modern-day western lifestyle (capitalism) has been so deeply ingrained in almost all human beings's view of the international that i think of the respond is confident. Did Jesus fairly advise all the flaws he's stated to have stated? of course no longer... it is for token dialogue on party, no longer for fairly action. isn't it?

Lv 7
    9 years ago

No, but there are corrupt people of all beliefs.

Yes Christmas and Easter are "Christian" holidays that were seasonally adjusted to traditional pagan festival times in the hopes that the pagans would "get it" and worship the one true creator God Jesus Christ instead of themselves and the creation. Both Christmas and Easter are man's ideas. Jesus never asked us to celebrate his birthday, but it is a human tradition so we do it anyway.

The early Christian church worshiped on Sunday, the day of Jesus' resurrection.

The Holy Bible has NOT changed, but there are some sects of religious believers who have altered the biblical text to meet their human ideas, such as JWs.

Original manuscripts have been found dated within 20 years of Jesus' death and resurrection. The copies of the OT or Torah have been found completely accurate in their copies, barring some slight copy errors (not error in doctrine!)

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

No Christianity isn't corrupt, it's the churches that are corrupt.

But God does have a remnant people who live according to His Word..

http://www.endtimes-bibleprophecy.com/page26.htm

• 9 years ago

Christainity is not corrupt, what the churches teavch and practice is NOT Christianity. Jesus said: “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness.” (Matthew 7:21-23)

Jesus also said his true followers would be known by the self sacrificing love they would have for one another. (John 13:34, 45 & 15:12, 13)

EDITED for T68 - We have NOT altered the Bible to meet our ideas, but we are willing to alter our beliefs if we find they are different from what the Bible actually teaches.

Source(s): I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and a careful student of MANY translations of the Bible, including Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts. (By means of concordances and lexicons)
  • 9 years ago

A few Christians are corrupt. Christianity is not.

Just because a Pagan holiday lands on the same day of the year as a Christian holy day does not mean that that Christian holy day is "based on Paganism" or is "worshiping Satan."

With the thousands of Pagan religions all over the world that have been practiced for thousands of years, there is probably at least one (if not more than one) Pagan holiday for everyday of the year.

Using that logic:

+ Christians could never celebrate anything on any day of the year.

+ Anyone celebrating a loved one's birthday on April 20 is celebrating Hitler's birthday because coincidentally, Hitler was born on the same day.

+ Easter +

No Pagan holiday (of which I am aware) jumps around like the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ does.

The celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ has nothing to do with Paganism.

This greatest of Christian holy days has been celebrated for almost 2,000 years and is directly related to the Jewish feast of Passover which was celebrated for about 3,000 years before Christ. Neither of which is related to or based on Paganism.

The popular observance of Easter has incorporated a couple of pagan symbols of fertility in rabbits and eggs but they have nothing to do with the actual celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

If some Christians want to do away with Easter bunnies and Easter eggs then I have no problem with that but do not throw Jesus Christ out with them.

+ Christmas +

If your birthday fell on a Thursday this year but were not going to celebrate it until Saturday then would everyone at your party be upset that your birthday party was not on your exact birthday? Of course, not. A birthday party on Saturday would be more convenient for almost everybody.

If no one knew when your birthday was then what day would you choose to celebrate it? Suppose most of the people you wanted to invite were farmers who had to work all spring, summer, and fall just to make enough to survive. You might pick the middle of the winter for a convenient time for your party.

No one knows the exact day when Jesus was born. If a date close to the winter solstice was partially chosen for Christmas to make conversion of pagans to Christianity easier then what is the harm of that?

Christmas (the Mass of Christ) is (and always has been) the Eucharistic celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, God the Son.

The angel said to them,

"Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is Messiah and Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger."

And suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying:

"Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."

(Luke 2:10-14)

With love in Christ.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.