promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is your opinion on the German citizen getting arrested under Alabama’s new immigration law?

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - A German manager with Mercedes-Benz is free after being arrested for not having a driver's license with him under Alabama's new law targeting illegal immigrants, authorities said Friday, in an otherwise routine case that drew the attention of Gov. Robert Bentley.

Tuscaloosa Police Chief Steven Anderson told The Associated Press an officer stopped a rental vehicle for not having a tag Wednesday night and asked the driver for his license. The man only had a German identification card, so he was arrested and taken to police headquarters, Anderson said.

The 46-year-old executive was charged with violating the immigration law for not having proper identification, but he was released after an associate retrieved his passport, visa and German driver's license from the hotel where he was staying, Anderson said.

The length of his detainment and the status of his court case weren't immediately known.

Mercedes Manager From Germany Arrested in Alabama

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Mercedes...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, just keep in mind that Alabama gave Mercedes-Benz special tax breaks to attract them to put up a manufactoring plant, and you'll understand just why the governor got personally involved. There are even more Koreans running around Alabama running other plants for Hyundai and Akia. It won't take a lot of this before the state leaders decided they gone just a bit too far with this. They are major employers in Alabama and Georgia, and they won't cotton much to having their executives harassed. not even in Alabama. The real problem would be that local police aren't inclined to show a lot of judgement in these things and the police in Alabama have never been noted for discression.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database : http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?fqKQ
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

He broke the law. Everyone in the US is required to have a drivers license on them when driving. As an auto dealer, he should be well aware of this. The police handled this correctly by arresting him. They also handled this correctly when they released him after his drivers license was produced. If he gets a fine for the original infraction that caused him to be pulled over, and a fine for not having his license on him, then he got what he deserved.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Try going to Germany and checking into a hotel without a passport they will not give you a room and most likely call the police or if your a German citizen try moving and not reporting your new address to the police they will arrest you

Every night the local police came to the hotels to check on the visitors to that hotel

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Raelyn
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I lived in three foreign countries, and in each one, if I were pulled over by the police and could not produce a valid driver's license or alien registration card, I probably would have been detained, too. It's not racism. It's law enforcement.

• 8 years ago

The article said the incident was resolved when a drivers license was presented. I don't have a beef with Alabama at all. In fact, I have heard that since the law was passed Alabama has seen a drop in unemployment rate by .5%.

• Jenny
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I would have been concerned if he hadn't gotten arrested because then opponents could have claimed that the law was only aimed at Hispanics. Arresting a white European male just proves that the law is color blind.

• 8 years ago

It's proof that the Alabama Law is not directed against "brown people," Hispanics, Mexicans.

Source(s): The son of a German mother and a Swedish father, I have lived in 6 European countries before immigrating to Southern California two decades ago. I work as a corporate attorney in Santa Barbara and my main interest lies in issues concerning multiple citizenships.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

nothing wrong he was caught without his international id which is his passport so he was arrested on being suspected of being in the country illegally

he shows his passport and he gets let go

• 8 years ago

You must never have lived in any ther country besideds the US, every country is like that.

Make your own mind up dont belive rhetoric

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.