5 Reasons Liberals Want to Conduct Embryonic Stem Cell Research?
What are 5 reasons that US Liberals want to conduct embryonic stem cell research, and they don't want to use adult stem cells? Embryonic stem cells have not created any cures yet.
- PiratemomLv 79 years agoFavorite Answer
1. Because these cells appear to be a source for people to regrow damaged or missing organs, meaning reduced medical costs for things like dialysis and medication.
2. Because stem cells may assist the body to repair spinal damage. All those people in wheelchairs will be able to WALK.
3. Stem cells can be used to treat LEUKEMIA, saving the lives of millions of people, especially children stricken with this terrible disease.
4. Stem cells may be able to literally make the blind see, just like a certain Carpenter's son used to do.
5. These cells show promise to heal stroke damage, heal wounds, replace damage bone marrow, and even cure baldness.
Of course, the price of this is the donation of non-viable embryos created by in-vitro fertilization. These embryos are currently just thrown out, since they are not likely to live. Republicans know, however (heavy sarcasm) that the potential life of a non-viable fertilized cell is much more important then the quality of life of stroke victims, the survival of living children, aid for wounded soldiers, curing blindness, or saving millions of dollars by improving medical care.
- justaLv 79 years ago
No one begins a series of studies by knowing how they will turn out, so claiming its not useful isn't proved, it may take another fifty years before we know everything there is to know, or it may turn out that its a blind alley, we don't know until we try.
So think of it this way, we have already lost time, because while we were wrapping ourselves in holiness, other countries took our people and began the process, we lost some brilliant minds in science because they went to countries where they could continue their studies.
If it happens that they do find some values to it, we don't have the treatments and we'd have to pay them to use them, or we'd have to send our own citizens to foreign countries for treatment.
We'd lose our reputation for cutting edge medical care.
Since the embryonic cells are usually from discarded fertility cases, they will not be used for anything anyway. This way the small groups of cells, so undifferentiated that they are able to be anything, smaller that the period at the end of the sentence, are useful at least in some way.
It's not just liberals either, not all conservatives or middle of the road people think that used in such a way, at such a time makes it the ending of a life, that's more specifically a religious thing than a political thing, although most people who do think that the rights should be given to a blastocyte are on the hard right of the Republican party.
- u_bin_calledLv 79 years ago
The two labs scheduled to make BILLIONS off government-funded embryonic stem cell research are both located in Northern California.
Northern California is the home turf of Nancy Pelosi and Diane Feinstein.
Both politicians stand to add millions to their already-sizable net worths in return for funelling government funds to those labs.
They can easily hide their own greed because New-Age Democrats don't have a lot of introspection when it comes to witch hunting rich people.
Any opposition can be deflected by turning this into an "abortion" issue and the nodding followers blind to their own religious bigotry will march in lock step....as they always do.
- .Lv 79 years ago
1. Because those embryos are going to die even if all embryonic stem cell research stops today. You really think it is better that they get incinerated as biowaste, meaning nothing to no one?
2. Because you wouldnt expect cures at this point. It took adult stem cells over 50 years to produce a single cure in a single patient. I am NOT against adult stem cells, they saved my life. But what I know after going through that transplant, is that 50 years after that single treatment in a single patient, its not advanced enough to abandon all other means of research. A bone marrow transplant is THE number one stem cell treatment, and really the only one on the approved public market. Mine was 4 years ago. It is still so risky that it has a near 50% fatality rate. Matching is so stringent, that over 2/3s of the people who need it, cant get one because they dont have a donor and cant use their own stem cells. Because the transplant is so expensive that between 1/3-2/3s of the people who have a match cant afford to go through it. 100 years of adult stem cell research, the single treatment that accounts for 95% of the diseases treatable by adult stem cells, still has the stats I described. And they still cant do it without high dose chemo and radiation, which puts me at risk for at least a dozen cancers, including the very same type I had the transplant for, in addition to making me infertile at 23 years old. The chemo and rad is also partly responsible for the high fatality rate. They have to kill your existing bone marrow and all white blood cells - you have literally no immune system for a couple of weeks, and many people end up with fatal infections at that point. The rest of the fatality rate would be due to rejection, which happens even in perfectly matched cases. The risks are reduced if using your own stem cells, but it can still happen.
I am thankful for my life, but do NOT consider that a good enough reason to abandon other forms of research.
3. Remember, if they had stopped adult stem cell research after 20-25 years in the lab with no cures, we wouldnt have adult stem cell treatments at all.
4. Again, the embryos die regardless. I think its better they die being used for something important, rather than, oh, well, mommy is done with ivf so we're just gonna incinerate you. I support embryo donation, but few choose to do so, because lets face it, ivf is for vanity pregnancies, not people looking to be parents. These are people with enough money, or good enough insurance, to go through thousands and thousands of dollars to screen out embryos, create designer babies, and have their own biological children rather than adopting kids who already dont have parents.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous9 years ago
As far as I know embryonic stem cells are pluripotent while stem cells harvested from an adult, from skin or blood for example, are dedicated.
- Anonymous9 years ago
Yay! 2 points!