SSD drive for gaming?

so im going to make a custom made gaming desktop , is a SSD (main drive ) really worth it for gaming , will this improve my loading times? for the games i play? installing the game ect? or what does it do towards gaming(i will also have a 1tb second drive)

its a ssid 128 kingston

cpu=i7 2600k

mobo susu p8p67

ram 16gb kingston

graphics card=gefore gtxx 580

( incase any of this helps)

Favorite Answer

What kind of hard drive are you using? This may affect the performance you get. For instance, many of the new motherboards such as the Z68 setups have something called SRT (Smart Response technology), which caches frequently used data to your SSD, improving performance. As far as booting up, you will definitely notice improved load times with a SSD compared to a mechanical drive, and yes, you will notice load times on games without question. The question is a few choppy seconds of loading worth the extra money you're spending. You're really the only one that can answer that. If you're running gaming components on a high-end machine, you might as well spring for a SSD, as you're already paying for top performance... might as well have buttery smooth transitions at load time to showcase everything else you already put in there.

If I may make a suggestion as to the graphics card - the gtx 570 would be worth looking at over the 580. The 580 is $150 more for a very negligible performance increase. Down the road, if you need more graphics power, just make sure you get a motherboard with an 2 SLI slots, and you can throw in a second one alongside your first. The 570 is well worth the downgrade if price is an object, and I'd assume it is or you wouldn't be asking about if a SSD is worth getting.

Source(s): Built several gaming rigs... threw a SSD into my newest.

I'd not bother with ssd till I can buy 500GB for 300$ - and maybe not then. With lots of RAM the biggest delay is checking memory during boot --I wonder if there is a better way than every boot...too bad you can't do it once a week....automatically. i7-940 (yeah showing its age..) 64bit vista hp

..

I bought two 400 GB HD's in RAID 0. And had problems with bits

I replaced them with a SSD. Great for boot, but my 12 GB of RAM seems to be fine for gaming - I see no difference between the two set ups. My problem is that I set my SSD to C: and am *constantly* running up against its small size. Many, many programs require a footprint on the C: drive. Sucks.

If I had to do it over, I'd put four 500GB drives in a RAID 5. But this may be a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" dream.

Actually here is how I'd spend my money 1. CPU (MOTHERBOARD!!) 2. RAM 3. Best GPU in my price range 4. Fantastic monitor 5. C: drive - big and fast 6. External back up

At this point in time or until it becomes more cost effetive the SSD is mainly used for loading the OS onto to increase boot times, the best way to drastically increase R/W speed is by using a RAID array, you have 3 basic choices, RAID 0 5 or 10, RAID 0 uses 2 drives and offers a moderate increase in R/W speed but offers no redundancy or data protection in case of drive failure, RAID 5 offers a nice increase in speed comparable to SATA II 3GBps data transfer speed and data protection but RAID 10 requires 4 drives and will provide smokin fast R/W speeds comparable to SATA III 6GBps data transfer speeds and total data protection. So RAID 0 offers increase in speed with no data protection while both RAID 5 and 10 offer data protection in addition to super fast R/W speeds with RAID 10 being the fastest, there are other RAID arrays going higher then RAID 10 but they require more then 4 HDD's and get complicated very quick so until the price of a 250GB SSD becomes similarly priced to a 250GB HDD it's just not cost effective to load programs onto a SSD

• Not nearly enough to justify the price. Solid state drive technology isn't nearly advanced enough to bother with the prices. Just get a decent hard drive with 6GB/S transfer speeds and you'ss be fine.

Source(s): I build computers.