How does Bible revision work? [see details]?

My spiffy NIV Study Bible has listed three different sets of editors; one for the original 1985 version, one for a 2002 version, and another for 2008. My question is, what exactly needs to be revised? If they've made an accurate translation of the original Hebrew, does it really need to be revised? I ask... show more My spiffy NIV Study Bible has listed three different sets of editors; one for the original 1985 version, one for a 2002 version, and another for 2008. My question is, what exactly needs to be revised? If they've made an accurate translation of the original Hebrew, does it really need to be revised?

I ask this because I've been exploring different contradictions in the Bible. Using the below link, I would look up in both my ESV and NIV Bibles to verify the contradiction. But I've found that didn't line up on the website, wasn't lining up with both of my bibles. For example, there was a discrepancy in the age that Jehohoichin was said to have begun his reign. One verse says 18, the other 8. I check my Bibles (yes, Bibles, capitalized and pluralized - but what do you expect from a pastor's kid?! :P ) and both verses say 18.

Obviously something's amiss here. And with the multiple revisions and my unfortunately poor experiences with the Christian culture, I can't help but wonder if any factual errancies in the bible were simply covered up with some revising. I feel like the only way I could put this matter to bed for me, would be to go back to the original Hebrew/Greek text of the Bible, unfortunately, it's all Greek to me...

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/j...
Update: Wow! I go to lunch and come back and there's already so many thoughtful, well-written answers. Thank you! I do understand the difficulties of translating between languages. I'm a French student, and I've probably driven my French teacher insane with how many times I've made up words in order to reconcile the... show more Wow! I go to lunch and come back and there's already so many thoughtful, well-written answers. Thank you!

I do understand the difficulties of translating between languages. I'm a French student, and I've probably driven my French teacher insane with how many times I've made up words in order to reconcile the differences in translation. That's why I feel the only way I'd be satisfied with discerning any discrepancies in the Bible.

My main issue comes down to one of Biblical inerrancy. It's what has been ingrained in me since birth, and until recently, had I been asked if the Bible was infallible, some sort of muscle memory would have brought forth an instant yes. I'm just trying to sort out my beliefs for myself, and it's quite the Herculean task.

Just one other specific question concerning contradictions in the Bible. In 2 Samuel, there seems to be a discrepancy between how many children Michal, daughter of Saul, had. There are two verses, one that says she had no kids, another th