Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

My kid doesn't have normal interests? How can I straighten him out?

My one son is 14. He's weird. He's obsessed with movies, and not normal movies like the kids watch, like Spiderman or the Saw movies, this kid's got a list of his favorite directors on his Facebook page. These are the names. I only recognize a few of them:

Stanley Kubrick

Lindsay Anderson

Lina Wertmuller

Michelangelo Antonioni

Alfred Hitchcock

George Cukor

D.W. Griffith

Roman Polanski

Dennis Hopper

I looked them up on wikipedia. All dead or foreign. That stuff usually appeals to the people you stay away from: guys with berets and French cigarettes. The kid lives for movies and not even normal ones. He's got nothing in common with the other kids and that worries me. I don't want him to grow up a freak or something.

How do I normal him out?

Give me a f_cking break, I looked up Kubrick, he made a movie called Lolita about a middle aged guy doing it with a teenager; he also made 2001 A Space Odyssey. I saw it. It's a huge druggie movie. I caught him watching "IF" by Lindsay Anderson. The ending of that film is like Columbine. It's a movie for freaks. Antonioni ---he made a movie called Blow Up. It's got nudity and pot smokers in it. Look it up on imdb. I'm fine with Hitchcock. I saw a few of his films. They are pretty good especially Psycho. I know who Roman Polansk is. The guy's a child rapist. These are not quality people for my son.

I'm not using my son. He's just not a normal kid. I come to the Politics' section as it's a place where I can meet people who think like me and have a degree in common cents. Something that is lacking!

Favorite Answer

Unless your son is imaginary he may be suffering from chronic acute embarrassment caused by his father frequently trying to use him on YA as a device to state sociopolitical opinions.

You could help him by not using him in such a way.

You hate Kubrick? The guy who directed Sparticus, Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket. Just because he did a movie about the book Lolita. Wow.

Man you give me the most utter sympathy for that poor son of yours. I really don't mean to be insulting, but you need to give your kid a fcking break or your going to drive him insane.

Spying on his facebook page. Jesus Christ.

If you keep trying to pressure him, he most certainly will grow up a freak. He sounds like a great kid to me. Maybe you should try to love him more.

And 2001: A Space Oddyssey had absolutely nothing to do with drugs. It was an art film! If you were worried about any of his movies, you should be worried about A Clockwork Orange. Now that movie was fckin twisted! I guess the Shining was twisted too. So was Eyes Wide Shut. Oh and Full Metal Jacket was a total anti-war film. Stanley Kubrick was the greatest director of all time. Don't be a bastard.

• Meghan

So, what's the problem? He likes movies. He has a healthy interest. Just because he isn't interested in what you want him to be interested in doesn't mean there is anything wrong with him. I know alot of teenagers that like movies by those directors. He's not a freak, and you treating him like one is a bad thing. Would you rather he be putting more effort into football than academics, drinking, sleeping around and experimenting with drugs? Him being focused on something else is a good thing!

Instead of trying to change him, praise him and have him educate you on some of the movies he likes, and what it is about them that he likes. Try being a supportive father instead of a critical one.

I personally think you should let him be. Everybody has different interests and you can't force him into something he doesn't enjoy. Plus there are many people who enjoy dead or foreign things. Examples: The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Bob Marley, Run DMC, Black and White Movies or silent films. and then the foreign: Foreign cuisine, fashion like gucci, chanel, culture, etc.

And to your question "How do I normal him out?" well, in this society, what exactly is considered the norm? No two people are going to be alike each other.

Don't try to "normal" your son out. Let the boy be unique. Do you really want him to fall into the typical flow of people? I sure wouldn't. He is unique in his own way and you should let it flourish. Besides, it's just movies, no big deal.

who cares what films he watches, aslong as he is socialising and works hard in school it doesnt really matter does it? take him out play baseball with him or take him to the bar, buy him a drink spend time with your son if your feeling lonely.

Your kid is going to be an individual that wants to find his own interests rather than what everyone tells him to like

Congratulations, your child is an intellectual. God knows he didn't get it from you.

You can't "straighten him out" he is who he is. Why would you want to change him before trying to get to know him? Maybe he can curve your ignorance.