Where can I buy paint thickening agent for interior latex paint?

I've been looking all over the place on the net and the only place I've found it involves ordering from overseas... which is just stupid. Does anyone know if I can find it at any home improvement store, like Home Depot or Lowes or Orchard Supply and I'm just not typing in the right info or something? I bought this semi gloss for trim in my living room and it's too think to stick on the trim that was there before. We've tried sanding and it's just not working well AT ALL. There's got to be something I can use that isn't too hard to find...?

*I meant too THIN, not too think. Sorry. :) It is definitely not thick enough for what I was planning on doing.

Best Answer

Hello,

I work at The Home Depot and worked in the paint department for many years, I've seen your question quite a number of times. From what it sounds like your paint is doing, you most likely need to get a paint extender, but nothing to thicken or thin it down. In the years I have worked in paint, we never sold a thickening agent, but we do have an item that will extend, or make the paint more manageable to work with. If you working with a water-based/latex/acrylic paint, you can buy a quart of an item called Floetrol that works great for this kind of paint. Adding Floetrol with the paint will give it a slower drying time, and reduces the amount of brush marks showing up in the final finish. Floetrol does not thin out the paint, like water, but gives more flexibility to the paint. In fact, if you used thinners or water in the paint, you are corrupting the integrity of how well the semi-gloss paint will work. In other words, it can work now, but it won't last as long since you've broken down the binders and pigments in the paint by introducing it to another substance (water or thinners).

If you have an oil-based paint, there is a product called Penetrol, but most DIYers and painters nowadays use water-based paint, so Floetrol would be your answer here. To read more about it, check out the link below...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100198078/...

If your paint has issues sticking to the trim, another likely culprit is that you didn't sand or prime the surface first. All paints must have a clean and somewhat flat surface for it to stick properly, and by priming or scuffing up the surface lightly with sandpaper (hopefully you used a decent grit paper already) will go a long way for your final top coat as well. Since you already sanded, a primer will level the playing field better, but I realize it is more painting to do. Try the Floetrol on a small area first since you already sanded, and you should be pleased with the results.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Source(s): The Home Depot
  • CJlove

If it's too thick to stick on the wall you need to thin it down if it's water based use water to thin it, if it's oil based you can buy paint thinner at any hardware store that sells paint or a home improvement store. If it's too thin just buy another can of paint and mix it with your paint til it's thick enough and not too thick, a small amount at at time. Usually thin paint sticks but it's a clear coat with a color, you can see the other color thru it. If it's not sticking you may be putting an acrylic paint over an oil base paint, you would have to strip the old paint completely not just sand it.

Source(s): experience painting my own walls.

You need to confirm this at your local paint store because it's been years since I've actually done it: If I recall correctly, whenever I've had to seal a damaged wall, whether it was banged and exposed metal wall corners or patched wallboard, I've used an oil base primer (in all the rooms) -- just because it's the best and I knew it would stick well to the wall and to any type of paint -- either water or oil based. Listen to uncle bob (above)

The problem most likely is that the old trim is oil-based in that case you will need to prime with a good oil-based primer and then apply semi-gloss. The rule of thumb is you can't put latex over oil paint, but you can put oil over latex

Source(s): painter for last 25 yrs

Acrylic Latex Paint Home Depot

Normally paint is thick and needs to be thinned out . I wonder what your doing and what kind of surface your painting .

Really BS stupid answers. Does not even get close to answering the question.