How do I find out my heritage?

Im just wondering how can I find my heritage, Im African American so its going to be alot harder for me. My last name is English its "Cook" and I know back then with Africans used their slave masters name. However my first name what I dont go by is totally English so is my dad and his dad our names are... show more Im just wondering how can I find my heritage, Im African American so its going to be alot harder for me. My last name is English its "Cook" and I know back then with Africans used their slave masters name. However my first name what I dont go by is totally English so is my dad and his dad our names are Charles fyi. So yeah. I was told that my grandfather on my dads side that he is biracial. I would ask him but I havent seen him since I was 8 and now im 20. And my father and my grandfather dont get along. My dads mom (my grandmother) divorced my grandfather so they dont talk at all either. My grandmother told me that her grandmother was Caucasian which I didnt know.

Im very interested in what other culture I have with me and hope do discover where I came from Africa.

So how and where can I get tested LEGITIMATELY? I want to be tested with a swab and or taken blood from me, Im not into the whole Ancestry.com