How do i get the total of one column based off of another column in microsoft excel 2010?

I do not want to "add" the numbers. Basically i have one column of numbers lets call it column (B) and another column (C) with one character it might be an "x" and it might be a "1" anyway. I need a formula that will tell me the total number of info in column B if there is a character... show more I do not want to "add" the numbers. Basically i have one column of numbers lets call it column (B) and another column (C) with one character it might be an "x" and it might be a "1" anyway. I need a formula that will tell me the total number of info in column B if there is a character in column C. Is this enough info to get help?
Update: Greg G: AMAZING!!!!! it worked perfect. I have been working on this forever. Now if you can answer one more question. instead of putting "x" or "1" is there a general thing i can use so it will calculate if there is anything entered into the field? I looked it up and it says an (*) or an (?) but those didn't work show more Greg G: AMAZING!!!!! it worked perfect. I have been working on this forever. Now if you can answer one more question. instead of putting "x" or "1" is there a general thing i can use so it will calculate if there is anything entered into the field? I looked it up and it says an (*) or an (?) but those didn't work