Why is Wikipedia insisting that we donate?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Insisting? - I don't think so. This is the text that explains why donations are welcome at \Wikipedia:

"Google might have close to a million servers. Yahoo has something like 13,000 staff. We have 400 servers and 95 staff.

Wikipedia is the #5 site on the web and serves 454 million different people every month – with billions of page views.

Commerce is fine. Advertising is not evil. But it doesn't belong here. Not in Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is something special. It is like a library or a public park..."

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Wikipedia tries its hardest to not have ads on their pages, so that you make learn without being interrupted. Wikipedia has about 100 workers, and i dunno how many servers, but its not a lot. They practically created Wikipedia with only small donations by the public. They need donations to keep the servers running, and making sure that the workers get pay.

• 8 years ago

Because Wikipedia does not allow advertising, and is not taking on government grants, but still there are hundreds of servers and about 100 people paid personnel that have to be paid. So they rely on gifts, partly from large institutions, but mostly from the general public such as you and I.

• Bill
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Because Jimbo Wales doesn't want to accept advertising dollars because he fears he might be held accountable for the content on Wikipedia (you know, all the lies, half-truths and idiotic oversimplifications). When a bunch of people give a dollar or two each, none of them can really demand accountability. But if corporations gave Wikipedia thousands of dollars for ads, they would expect more.

The Wikimedia Foundation just doesn't want to deliver more. They just want the donations to keep rolling in so that they don't have to work too hard to keep the gravy train going.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

they might have low on budget or fund, It is really a useful information site which is only running through donations.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.