Myla asked in SportsTennis · 8 years ago

Did Federer deserve the Stefan Edberg award?

I'm a Fed fan and glad he won it, but what do you think?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

he must deserve it or he would not have won it - it is voted for by the players on the ATP tour so its obviously fair.

remember its the "stefan edberg SPORTSMANSHIP award" its not an award for who has done the best in the year.

:):):)

• 8 years ago

There was one moment that people criticize, after losing to Djokovic in the US Open, where Federer got a little frustrated after having lost, even though at one point he was just one match point away. He said “I didn’t hit the best serve. But it’s just the way he returns that. It’s just not — a guy who believes much, you know, anymore in winning. Then to lose against someone like that, it’s very disappointing, because you feel like he was mentally out of it already. Just gets the lucky shot at the end, and off you go…”. It's not like him to criticize his oponents and be harsh like that, but I kind of see what he was coming from. At the US Open, when Federer was about to win, Djokovic was mentally already out of it. He was just kind of standing their laughing at how much the crowd cheered for Federer, and he was totally ready to lose the tournament. But then an extremely lucky shot saved him, and Federer lost the match. In my opinion, possibly the worst feeling in the world is being soooo close to something, and then having it taken away. That's what Federer experienced so I think it would have come across as fake if he had just smiled and pretended like it was no big deal. Everyone has bad moments so people should question his sportmanship over this.

Yes, I think he fully deserved the award, especially after the year he had. This was perhaps his worst season yet, so he had all the right to start getting really frustrated, smashing his racket and yelling at the umpire, but he didn't. Even after painfully losing in all 4 grand slams, he still maintained his dignity and walked away with class. He just seems like a gentle, nice person. Some people get annoyed by the fact that he doesn't show many emotions on court, but I think it's a great thing. No matter what the situation, he has a way of staying calm and focused.

Also, this award was voted by the players, not the fans. I always think that the awards voted by the fans are a little unfair because Federer just happens to have a lot more fans then others. But the fact that this was voted by the players make it more honest and correct in my opinion. If they believe he had the best sportmanship, then he does, because truly, no one knows what he's like on court better than the actual players.

• 8 years ago

Federer has deserved everything he's been given haha. I believe he's won the award like 7 times?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I believe Federer is one of the best persons in tennis, so he definitely deserves this award. He's always humble and polite on court.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

he is the best!!! I mean many talk about sportsmanship out of the court not on the court; but look at roger; He never tries to distract opponents on court, never fights with umpires, never disrespects opponents on court and this is hard if you are that good,

and one sharp point that you might not feel, is his style of play,

even his style is soft and gentle not harsh like some others (although this is not that important and Rafa is a great human for example)

• 8 years ago

Yes Roger deserves the award!!!!!!!

• 8 years ago

good sportsmanship

i guess so

roger federer is a good tennis ambassador..

with his cool attitude on court...

and his complete tennis package...

and also longevity in the game.. dedication to it

• ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

no he didnt deserve it .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.