What do you think of my plan to fix Social Security?

I think we should make Social Security a completely voluntary program that no citizen pays into. When citizens work, they should keep what they earn and it should not be used to fund the retirement of someone else. I consider an inalienable right for us to be allowed to keep the fruits of our labor and do whatever we want with it and I find it morally wrong for the government to forcibly take what we earned and give it to another without our permission. If an elderly person loses their retirement savings in a market crash or are too disabled to work, they should fill out an application and ask the government for Social Security benefits and those benefits can be funded by legalizing and taxing marijuana, by ending foreign aid, by closing our military bases, by bringing our troops home from all the wars, by abolishing federal agencies (Dept.of Education, the FDA, the EPA, the DHS, etc.,) or by ending farm subsidies and all forms of corporate welfare. But, whatever revenue the government uses to fund Social Security, it must NOT come from the earnings of its citizens. Under this plan, no one is forced to pay into something they don't want to, no one's individual rights are infringed on, the government saves money, and no senior citizens are left to die. In other words, everyone's happy. Is this a good idea?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is like saying: Yeah, I think we should buy food so we'll have something to eat. But only if we turn the heat off and cancel the water and electricity and sell the car and don't wear clothes, 'cos those things are too expensive and a waste of money. 8^) And even then, only after we eat the dog.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

I do agree there needs to be major changes to Social Security and I would start with this:

Social Security funds do belong to the people who contribute to them and they should be put in a lock box and not used to fund any other projects, including the pork projects that have depleted these funds.

A quarterly report should be reported to every tax payer verifying how much is in their fund plus interest because the government will be investing these contributions.

Social Security is good for children who have lost a parent and these funds will be needed to care for these children.

The contributions made to Social Security and if the government should shut down for any reason no one should be threatened that they will not receive the payments they were promised.

Upon retirement people should be able to withdraw all these funds and use them as they wish whether it is to invest, give to their children or to live on.

If a person dies these funds should be given to the survivor/survivors of their choice.

Millionaires should not be collecting Social Security or Medicare. They are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. Members of Congress should not receive these benefits as the taxpayers are already paying for their retirement. They should be compelled to continue to pay these taxes for the children of a deceased parent and those truly in need and cannot under any circumstances provide for themselves.

Social Security should be used to pay burial expenses as too many people cannot possibly afford the price of life insurance. Too many are living paycheck to paycheck.

As a sideline, time limits should be enforced on all those in Congress. When they have served for decades they lose touch with the people they are supposed to serve, it entrenches them in following their own party line without even knowing what they are voting on which relieves them of the responsibily they have toward the people they are supposed to serve.

I know there are a lot of flaws in both your and my scenarios but we both seem to agree that the problem needs to be fixed. Making people worry about receiving money they have spent years investing in Social Security and Medicare is grossly unfair when they continue to become million and multimillionaires by passing laws for the rest of us but exempting themselves from those same laws and programs.

• Marcie
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

it sounds good, but most people are too stupid to handle their own money. they would go broke and then become criminals. also if marijuna was legal, 99% of people would be stoned, and america would become a 3rd world country.

Source(s): other than that it's a good idea.
  • 8 years ago

it would never be implemented and it would not work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.