My cars dome light won't turn off?!?

1999 Taurus. I have the dome light in the DOOR position. All the doors (as well as the trunk and hood) are completely closed and locked. However, the dome light still won't turn off. I now have it in the OFF position so the battery doesn't die, but how do I fix this??

Haha nope!!! The thumbwheel that adjusts the brightness of the gauges was turned all the way up and thats what makes the dome light stay on no matter what, even if all the doors are closed. It's all fixed now! Thanks

• G
    Favorite Answer

turn thumbwheel down, make it click

I agree with bjkramp. I had a 1997 Ranger with the same problem. Door Ajar light and dome light were on all the time. Got a suggestion from someone to spray WD-40 or similar into each door latch. I did, opened and shut the doors a couple times, and never had the problem for 3 more years. What happens is dirt, dust, and crud get in the latches and make everything inside stick. Ford's dome light switches for your generation car have the switch inside the latch rather than the little button in the door jamb you're used to seeing on other vehicles. good luck.

• happ

Dome Light Wont Turn Off

Very common actually. You can try spraying a penetrating oil such as WD-40 into each latch mechanism and repeatedly opening a closing the doors all the while observing the dome light condition. Question, do all of the doors close completely? It is safe to assume that the Drivers door is the most used door on the car, I would start there as I usually do when one comes into the shop. The switch in question is part of the door latch assembly and if found faulty would require replacement of the door latch assembly. Good Luck!

Source(s): Practical Application.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My cars dome light won't turn off?!?

Source(s): cars dome light won 39 turn off: https://shortly.im/AEio5
  • Pamela

check to make sure you dash light dimmer is not set all the way to max on where the dome light is turned on. does it turn off with override switch, the switch that makes it not come on when door opens? if its off and off, and still is on, there is a short to power giving the bulb power when it shouldnt have it. you can figure out what circuit its getting powered through fairly easily, although fixing it may be much more diffucult. simply disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, take a 12 volt DC test light, hook one end to neg battery terminal and the other to cable. if power is flowing light will be on, remove fuses one at a time until light goes off (replacing them as you go). if the dimmer doesnt have it on, and the override overrides and shuts it off, then a door swtich is the problem.

if it turns off when you start the car there is a delay relay bad (to keep dome light on for about 1-2 min. after door is shut)

Find out which door switch is bad.