Is there anything besides therapy that can help with Sensory Integration Dysfunction?

I'm 14 and have Sensory Integration Dysfunction. My hearing and sense of smell are on the hypersensitive side, but all my other senses are on the hyposensitive side. Over time it has gotten a lot better, but I'm still experiencing some trouble with the SID-induced dysgraphia, going near spice cabinets, hearing too many noises at once, and concentrating. One of my worst spouts recently was when I found out a globe on top of one of my pens lit up when I wrote with it, I spent a good half hour lighting up the pen over and over again and I realize that it's weird, but I can't seem to help it. My mom can't afford therapy and she thinks I've mostly grown out of it but I know she's wrong. What can I do about this?

Favorite Answer

Dear 14 years old,

There are so many things you can do for yourself! It is wonderful to see that you really want to take care of yourself.

The most important overall thing that you can do is design a rigorous exercise program for yourself. At the least this would involve aerobics at least 4 times a week (more if possible) and weight lifting with low weight amounts but lots of repetitions.

Any activities that involve deep pressure on your joints (like climbing mountains or biking) are also very helpful. Alexander is a teenager who has written two books on exercises that he used to get through his early teens.

Alexander's Books

As a young boy, Alexander Fields-Lefkovic struggled with sensory issues, which affected his coordination and made tasks requiring motor planning difficult. Alexander was determined to overcome his challenges and embraced exercise as a means to strengthen his motor abilities. Alexander's former occupational therapist, Carolyn Murray-Slutsky, MS, OTR, and former physical therapist, Betty Paris, PT.M.Ed, said, "With enthusiasm and drive, he pushed the boundaries of traditional exercise and welcomed challenges wholeheartedly, expanding them continually, setting new goals for himself. Not only did he push himself to new levels, he also inspired others around him."

For his Bar Mitzvah project in 2007, Alexander wrote an exercise book for kids called Get Strong! Have Fun! He worked with Carolyn Murray-Slutsky to create these exercises. They are designed so that kids of all ability levels can participate, be successful, and have fun.

Now, at the age of 17, Alexander is an honor student at one of the top high schools in Florida, a member of the varsity tennis and debate teams, a trumpet player, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and the author of a new book, Get Stronger! Have More Fun! He worked closely with Carolyn Murray-Slutsky and Betty Paris in testing and evaluating the exercises in this book, which target key areas such as core stability, motor planning, and balance.

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of these books is donated to both the SPD Foundation and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. In February, the Foundation received a generous donation of $1800 from Alexander!

For more info on ALexander's books go to:

http://www.rehabforchildren.com/products.html#stro...

Also, if you are interested in writing more about your experience with SPD we would LOVE to have you as a teen contributor to our web site. If you are interested in doing this contact Susanne@SPDFOundation.net

many thanks and best wishes for your self-program!

Lucy Miller

Source(s): www.SPDFoundation.net