Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 8 years ago

HOW THICK SHOULD THE WOOD BE IN A C&C CAGE?

so i plan on making a NIC/ C&C cage for my new rabbit that i will be adopting in late march. i like thinking ahead ha..

anyway, so how thick should the wood be? i was thinking a 5/8" thick on a plywood thing. is that a good idea? i WILL place one of those 'stick on' vinyl flooring on top of the cage. my parents replaced all our carpet with those, so yeah.

so i plan on making the base: 57x29 big, and 5/8" thick. is that okay? or should i make the wood 58x30? because the measurements of the REAL cage is 56x28.

thanks! also whats the difference between a C&C cage and NIC cage? thanks. and i do plan on making it 3 levels high (including the base) and im scared that it will collapse because the wood is too heavy? also how much would that piece of wood cost? at home depot? thanks!

• Kate M
    Favorite Answer

5/8" should be good. You an go thinner as well. It does not need to be really thick, but should be thick enough for the screws or nails without splitting easily.

I prefer to have the base on the inside of the grids. It is easier to clean, but yo do have to put something on to prevent chewing. When you do the measurements, you need to take into account the thickness of the wood and how you will put it together. If you have the sides attached along the side of the base, it can add that thickness (5/8") to both sides. I would make is a bit smaller so you can more easily get the base into the cage. Since it will be hard to alter it after, make sure it will fit before you completely finish it.

There really isn't a difference between a C&C and NIC cage. C&C is cubes and coroplast while NIC is Neat Idea Cubes. C&C is more common when talking about guinea pig cages while NIC is more about rabbits.

For shelves, you may want to use a thinner wood. I use the grids to make the level and put coroplast on top with wooden dowels to support the level. The coroplast is light, but sturdy enough so the rabbits can't feel the wire. The girds provide a good surface and the dowels support it.

• Laura

I'm smart. I get A+s all the time. To demonstrate that I am in fact very intelligent, I will correct you. Sense is not spelt 'sence'. There's a little tiny bit of proof. :)