Do vegan equestrians ride in leather saddles?

Do they wear leather boots, chaps, gloves? Do they use leather halters and bridles and reins?

Because I once saw a vegan trying to defend her decision to ride in leather tack by saying "the cow would have been killed for meat anyway". To me it sounded pretty asinine, kinda like you're watching a murder go down so you steal the wallet off the guy that's getting killed because hey, they're just gonna whack him anyway right?

Yeah yeah, I know you can't judge all vegans by the ramblings of one loopy nuthatch. So if you're a vegan, how would you respond to one of your own that uses that logic? Agree? Disagree?

Last question, one that was actually posed to me by another user on here and she so graciously offered to let me include it here...

How do you feel about the animals that die needlessly to feed your horses? What!?! Horses don't eat animals!!! Yes, I know that. But how many times have you opened a bale of hay and found pieces of a snake or a bird that met some unfortunate end in the hay baler? Those poor things die because so many of us have to feed our horses dried forage. Why just the other night this person (name withheld by request) found a petrified bunny rabbit in a bale of alfalfa.

So vegan equestrians, what are your opinions on these matters?

Veggies, feel free to chime in too. Because really, you all shouldn't be using leather products either right? Or am I misunderstanding the logic behind becoming a veggie or vegan?

Favorite Answer

This is directed specifically towards Daisy:

Does this mean vegans can't have pets either? I'm not trying to be rude--I really don't have a clue, and I want to learn. :) Pets can't give permission to be kept.

Also, if vegans can have pets, horses included, how do they typically feel about the dead animals that can be found in the hay? It's killing one animal for the benefit of another, you know?

• taylor

I'm vegetarian and I'll admit I use leather tack. HOWEVER, I have never bought new leather tack. I use a saddle that was made in the 1970's and a bridle from the late 80's. It doesn't bother me so much because I wasn't even alive when these items were made. It kind of relates to the idea that some vegetarians I know will wear leather goods, but only if they are pre-owned (secondhand).

The way I see it, I will use this tack until the end of its useful life and either find another perfect hand me down or buy synthetic.

Also, I have never found any dead animals in my mare's alfalfa. For that matter, she won't even eat anywhere near a dead animal. Of course, I live in a heavily agricultural area, so many small animals are killed by insecticides before they can be killed by the process of making hay.

The person that you saw either labelled herself out of neediness, a vegan, or you did. She is not vegan. No big deal. If you really want to be vegan you don't use any animal's property or take anything from them at all.

Some people really do love that label.

A vegan who is worht his salt will not announce they're vegan to anybody and also they simply won't use any product that once belonged to an animal.

Vegetarian means- not eating the flesh of animals. Whatever the reason . There is no logic "oh you don't eat meat, therfore it's illogical to wear leather", this is not a case for or against vegetarianism - which ONLY refers to the diet- a vegetarian can wear leather, silk, use leather belts and bags, whatever they want. You don't decide why people are vegetarian or not and in fact is does not matter.

THe only thing of matter is that a vegetarian cannot by essense eat meat, or any animal flesh qhich required a slaughter.

If you're a vegan you really shouldn't (and wouldn't) be wearing leather at all. As for vegetarians, it's possible that you're vegetarian only for dietary/health purposes. If you're vegetarian for ethical purposes, then yes, you're pretty much rationalizing wearing leather as an o.k. thing to do for your own purposes, but ultimately, a person who doesn't eat meat but wears leather is still saving more lives (human and animal) and the environment, than a person who does eat meat but doesn't wear leather.

Eg. Amount of U.S. grain fed to farm animals: 70%

Pounds of corn and soy required to produce just one pound of pork: nearly 7

Water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 14 gallons

Water needed to produce a pound of meat: 441 gallons

Of all water used for all purposes in the United States, more than half goes to: livestock production

If you look at the big picture, not eating meat helps in a much more significant way than say, turning off the tap when you brush your teeth, not wearing leather, or donating money/food to starving people. If all of north america stopped eating meat, we could use 70% of our grain to help lessen the impact of world hunger, rather than to torture and slaughter animals; which just comes back to bite us in the *** by giving us cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes etc.

Ultimately the best/most ethical thing to do is to not consume animals, their biproducts, and leather. But between the two options of "vegetarian but leather-wearer" and "non-veg but anti-leather" the former is more effective.

• Daisy

Vegans don't ride horses. Here's the current definition of veganism:

"Veganism denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude – as far as is possible and practical – all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals, and the environment."

Note the: "all forms of exploitation of........any other purpose...."

Obviously the horse can't give permission to be ridden, so using him for her own pleasure is exploiting him and it's unnecessary. So vegans don't ride horses.

Sorry I ate my horse does this mean I no longer able to answer this question?

• Kelsey

idk how others live their lives but im a vegetarian nd i would never use animal hides.