Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

Why didn't these Jerry Sanduskys "victims" come out when the abuse supposedly happened?

I know this will angry the masses but even at 10 years I knew right from wrong. I was taught at probably 5 or 6 the difference between good touch/bad touch.

Favorite Answer

I cannot speak for all the alleged victims, but my generation (and some individuals in all generations) was not taught the difference between good touch/bad touch, so some of the men may not have known or acknowledged the alleged abuse until they were adults. Speaking of sexual abuse in general, other victims do not report because of threats, because they think no one will believe them or because they are still benefiting from the abusive relationship in other aspects. Remember, some of these boys were allegedly abused while participating in Sandusky's charities.

Homosexual abuse is severely under-reported because of the stigma that was attached to homosexual relationships. Finally, some victims do not report because they try to bury the memory or they blame themselves.

Source(s): I represent abused children.

A pedophile cruelly manipulates their young victims into thinking it is the victim's fault and makes them feel ashamed. Pedophiles also lie saying they can get in big trouble with their parents and can get arrested. Pedophiles also threatens them as well. 10 year old kids are very young and their brains are not developed to understand.

It is a shame you are blaming the victims. You weren't sexually abused when you were ten.

Everyone here has pretty much the correct answers. I would say some of the same reasons: fear, shame, guilt, not understanding what happened or whether it was or was not in fact their fault. As adults we tend to have a greater grasp on things as opposed to when we were in fact children.

Obviously you know absolutely nothing about the psychology of child abuse. Children very rarely report sexual abuse until they're much older because children don't understand that what happened wasn't their fault. They know good touch/bad touch, but they're afraid they're going to get in trouble because they think it was their fault. This is one of the reasons why this kind of abuse is so psychologically damaging.

Shame, embarrassment, fear, etc.