Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 8 years ago

Need help understanding knitting pattern ?

I'm knitting a baby booties, and stuck trying reading the pattern. I'm still a beginner. It says "work 24 rows in garter st on center 10 sts" I'm really confused and not sure what that mean

Favorite Answer

If you are a beginner maybe you need to get a simpler pattern. one that does not require you to pick up stitches. This one is asking you to knit the sole of the bootie first. You knit the center 10 stitches--eg--if you had 30 stitches to start with you would knit 20 and turn the piece over and knit 10 back turn and knit 10 and continue to do that for 24 rows. Then you would pick up stitches along the knit edge to make the side of the bootie and the same on the other side.

Now there are some booties that aren't that complicated and have a seam on the bottom. Look through the Bernat patterns on line

When you knit every row the pattern achieved is called garter stitch.

So work 24 rows garter stitch means knit 24 rows.

On center 10 sts is self explanatory. Just knit the 10 sts in the middle. Do not the sts either side of the middle 10.

From experience I guess that when you have done that the pattern will tell you to pick up the sts along the edge of the 24 rows you have just knitted. If you do not know how to pick up sts google in "picking up stitches" and sites pop up with instructions. You tube videos are very good.

Some people have said that beginners should start with something easier than bootees. I feel that if you only ever do easy things you never learn anything new. In any case bootees are not difficult. It's just that the instructions, while easy to do, can be hard to explain in words, without a picture.

I am not trying to be rude here. But you really need to take a beginner basic knitting class. What you are asking is very simple, and something that any knitter already knows. While we want to help, to try and give a basic knitting class here is not easy, and not the purpose of YA.

Yes, you are confused, because you don't know the basics of ordinary knitting. Once you have taken your basic lessons, this will make complete sense! While someone can show you what to do, you still would not have learnt anything from it. Please take a class!!

The directions mean exactly what they say. There is no secret code, there is nothing complicated about it. Baby booties are fun and very easy to make (and maybe boring). Simply take only the centre 24 stitches, and work them. The others are not worked -- they are not mentioned until later, so you simply forget them. All of this is covered in basic knitting classes... please take one!

When you have any knitting or crochet question, you ALWAYS go and ask at your LYS -- that is what they are for!!

Booties aren't that hard. With a decent pattern, you could turn out booties as a second project, about as difficult as a basic hat. But I need more of the pattern or a photo of the finished bootie to orient myself. If it's online, please provide a link. If it's not online, please provide a description of the bootie (for example a "Mary Jane") and two complete rows before and following the part you are having trouble with.

It's true you may be able to get help at a local yarn shop IF you actually have a local yarn shop. Most people don't. Check your yellow pages under "yarn." Most people get their yarn from a craft store, which may or may not offer classes and may or may not have an experienced knitter on staff, or else they shop online. A good yarn shop will answer some basic questions about a project you purchased materials for from them, but will probably charge you for instruction if you need more help than that. They're a great resource to have, so if you have a local yarn shop, you should support them by shopping there.

If you don't have a local resource, give me more information and I'll try to help you figure it out. I've done enough trying to help customers over the phone that I'm pretty good at talking people through things even if we aren't face-to-face.

• Mary

You really need to sit down with a very patient knitter who knits socks and who is willing to work with you! Socks and slippers and booties are NOT patterns for beginners! I've been knitting for over 40 years, design knitwear, and do very advanced knitting, and tear my hair out over wee little things with fingering yarn that go on feet. How about making something else for baby? There are LOTS of good things that beginners can do!