What did Noam Chomsky Mean?

I sent an email to Noam Chomsky asking about effective means of protesting. I wanted to know what, in his experience, were useful tactics for getting the attention of the government. For instance, I'm not sure if the Occupy movement is really accomplishing much, so I wanted to know what might be improved.

I won't post Dr. Chomsky's response, because I want to respect his privacy - but in one part of his response, he said that an effective way of reaching politicians is to "limit [their] choices."

So policy can be influenced by limiting the choices of the policy makers.

How would you go about doing this?

@ Average Joe: Um, he's still alive (?)

Best Answer

This isn't done through grass root protest, this might work on a state or local level but federally it's basically pointless. The way to get the attention of the government is done through LEGISLATION, putting in laws to regulate all aspects of policy makers. By limiting the policy makers this makes them somewhat accountable for their actions, they don't have free range (which is basically what they have now) to do whatever they want, when they want.

Was this from his 2002 BC speech? It means that the news SHOULD have a liberal bias if done properly, thereby allowing stifling arguments about a right wing news source as well as allowing both the Left & Right to maintain the belief that the Liberal media is as far as one can go & thus not challenge the system outside the preset media parameters. Does that make sense?

Noam Chomsky was an evil evil man.

I admire that part of the answer. It means he actually thought about the movement, he perused and considered your options JUST BECAUSE you asked for his opinion.