What did Noam Chomsky Mean?

I sent an email to Noam Chomsky asking about effective means of protesting. I wanted to know what, in his experience, were useful tactics for getting the attention of the government. For instance, I'm not sure if the Occupy movement is really accomplishing much, so I wanted to know what might be... show more I sent an email to Noam Chomsky asking about effective means of protesting. I wanted to know what, in his experience, were useful tactics for getting the attention of the government. For instance, I'm not sure if the Occupy movement is really accomplishing much, so I wanted to know what might be improved.

I won't post Dr. Chomsky's response, because I want to respect his privacy - but in one part of his response, he said that an effective way of reaching politicians is to "limit [their] choices."

So policy can be influenced by limiting the choices of the policy makers.

How would you go about doing this?
Update: @ Average Joe: Um, he's still alive (?)