Why do people think teenage years are the best time of your life?

I mean, your hormones are all over the place, you're awkward, you don't quite know where you fit in socially, you're self conscious, there's a constant pressure to be 'cool' but also do 'the right thing' and make decisions that you're not completely informed about, your body is... show more I mean, your hormones are all over the place, you're awkward, you don't quite know where you fit in socially, you're self conscious, there's a constant pressure to be 'cool' but also do 'the right thing' and make decisions that you're not completely informed about, your body is changing and it can be embarrassing and freaking scary, and to top it all off you have to go to school where all of your insecurities are amplified by your peers and you have the pressure to achieve good grades and not disappoint your teachers or parents or yourself. and then you have adults telling you you've got it easy.

If these are the supposedly best days of my life, then life must be a complete piece of crap.
Update: huh. So...I'm starting to think my teenage years aren't normal. I'm not really experiencing any of the good things you guys are saying about teenage years...I stay awake worrying about how we're gonna pay the bills this month, I'm terrified of being with people my age for fear that I annoy them, I'm stressed out... show more huh. So...I'm starting to think my teenage years aren't normal. I'm not really experiencing any of the good things you guys are saying about teenage years...I stay awake worrying about how we're gonna pay the bills this month, I'm terrified of being with people my age for fear that I annoy them, I'm stressed out 24/7 and I really don't have any relationships or friends that I know that well. All I think about is work and worry for the future. I think I'm doing something wrong here. Or as you age you become an elitist **** who hates anyone younger than them...everyone tells me it gets easier. But then they contradict themselves by saying teenage years are the best of your life. Am I just really pessimistic or some ****...