promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If a senator dies in office and elections are held to replace him, is the new senator's term still 6 years?

Senators are supposed to serve 6 year terms, but, obviously, some senators retire or die while in office. When this happens, the governor of the senator's state holds new elections for a new senator. My question is, when this happens, does the new senator still serve a 6 year term? If he/she does, wouldn't that throw off the whole "1/3 of the senators are elected or re-elected every two years" especially if the senator is replaced on a year that is not one of those years.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago

Under most circumstances Senators are chosen by popular vote in a State wide election in the State they represent. Occasionally when an incumbent Senator dies or otherwise leaves office the Governor of their State will choose a temporary replacement, depending on the laws in that state the replacement will finish the term of the exiting Senator or will serve until a special election is held.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Zach
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Actually how a senator is replaced varies from state to state. Some states the legislature elects a new senator, some states the governor appoints a replacement and in some states a special election is held.

Now to your question, they are only appointed or elected until the end of the senator their replacing's term.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I am not 100% positive but I believe the governor appoints a new senator. Then that senator finishes the term of the one who is no longer in office. When the regular election comes around the appointed senator runs as the incumbent or may not run at all.

Source(s): Like when Obama left as senator of Illinois and Gov. Blogoiavitch appointed a person to replace him.
  • 9 years ago

In most states, The senator's seat is appointed by the governor, That would count as the senator's first term.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.