If a senator dies in office and elections are held to replace him, is the new senator's term still 6 years?

Senators are supposed to serve 6 year terms, but, obviously, some senators retire or die while in office. When this happens, the governor of the senator's state holds new elections for a new senator. My question is, when this happens, does the new senator still serve a 6 year term? If he/she does, wouldn't... show more Senators are supposed to serve 6 year terms, but, obviously, some senators retire or die while in office. When this happens, the governor of the senator's state holds new elections for a new senator. My question is, when this happens, does the new senator still serve a 6 year term? If he/she does, wouldn't that throw off the whole "1/3 of the senators are elected or re-elected every two years" especially if the senator is replaced on a year that is not one of those years.