does eating little make you loose weight slower?

i'd usually eat between 1,100-1,200 calories a day. i spoke to the trainers at the gym and they say that i should be eating more, especially since i do exercise. they said that eating less makes you loose weight slowers and the key to loosing weight is to eat more, especially as you exercise. then how comes anorexic people starve and loose so much weight. i've decided to up my calorie intake a bit to around 1,300 to 1,400, but im still weary. the trainers at the gym say i should eat 2,000 calories, but i think its too much

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I am a firm believer that you should only go on a diet for no longer than 3 weeks at a time. Otherwise, your body will adjust itself to that amount of food intake. Such that, should you eat more than your dieted amount, you will gain weight. You will also notice that your body will no longer be shedding any pounds once it has accustomed itself to your diet.

The same is also true of most if not all exercises. There will come a point where your body will become accustomed to your workout such that you will no longer gain any muscle. Hence, the need to mix it up... (rotate your exercises by changing the type, intensity and/or duration of your exercises).

As for eating more to lose weight, this is the 1st time I've heard of this but will keep an open mind since it's your trainers that recommended it. I will be reading more on this and see for myself (Joel Fuhrman - Eat To Live) before commenting further.

Going back to your question, I'd suggest that you maintain your current diet of 1,100 to 1,200 calories per day while doing your exercises. This will hasten your weight loss without wreaking havoc on your body's internal systems. Should you find yourself running out of energy faster, then increase your food intake accordingly. (You can also try taking vitamin supplements.) If you want to lose weight faster, do your workout before breakfast.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Drink More Water Every Day can lose weight

There are a variety of reasons to drink plenty of water each day. Adequate water intake prevents dehydration, cleans out the body, and promotes healing processes. Substituting water for alcohol can also help control weight. Follow the steps below to make sure you're getting enough of this most basic necessity.

Drink water before, with and after every meal; it will help you to prevent overeating and obesity. Eat slowly, drink water and you will get satisfied with less food. But as with everything, be careful and don't overdo it. Drinking too much water can be toxic, so exercise moderation. Water is not a substitute for food, and you can indeed cause severe health issues if you drink too much water daily, including severe heart and endocrine system problems. And make sure that you consult your physician before you make any radical lifestyle changes!

• Jana
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

If you starve your body you will stop losing weight. If you eat more - more often, and better quality, you will lose weight because your metabolism will rev up with the exercise.

Read this book: Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Furhman. You can get it at your local book store or online too. It will explain to you about what to eat and how much and when.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Its hard to tell as you don't mention your height, weight or exercise regime, but you should generally try to stick to 500-1000 calories less than what you burn (including exercise.) I would just increase your calories by 100-200 a week until you reach a point where you aren't so weary any more. Good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Listen to your trainers. 1200 calories a day is fine for someone who DOESN'T go to the gym and is on a very strict weight loss plan (if you are very overweight and not exercising).

People who don't eat lose weight because all of their muscle turns to fat and then the fat wastes away. It's very unhealthy and makes you sick. If you want to stop working out and stop eating you will lose weight too but I don't recommend it.

The trainers want you to lose weight the healthy way. Eat healthy and ENOUGH to keep your body healthy and workout. If you don't eat enough your metabolism slows down and your body goes into starvation mode, storing all fat...

• 3 years ago

do a few biceps curls each time you pick up shopping bags

• 3 years ago

replace your regular pasta noodles with whole wheat pasta for a more filling meal

• 4 years ago

think ahead to how youll eat and exercise on the weekends its easy to get too relaxed on saturdays and sundays but healthy living is a 7 day a week endeavor

• 4 years ago

eat a rainbow of colors have at least one brightly colored fruit or vegetable in each meal and if appropriate eat the skins thats where youll find a powerhouse of antioxidants

• Hazel
    Lv 5
    3 years ago

enjoy sweet ice cream but go for ones made out of goat s milk or almond milk for half the calories

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.