Julia
Julia asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 8 years ago

Do you think all the "fake" beauty enhancements make people fake?

Spray tans, false nails, hair extensions, boob jobs, etc. Do you think people who "go" for all that fake stuff end up as fake people?

Is it fake or is it "enhancing" yourself?

Why are people so hell bent on botox and looking youthful anyway?

Why does a 65 year old want to look like a 30 year old? What's wrong with looking 65 if you ARE 65?

Best Answer

Aesthetic appeal has always been a part of human history. We're all guilty of it to some degree -- even if it's as minimal as combing your hair or making sure your clothes match. Here's one way of looking at it:

The human brain is adept at pattern recognition. We like to subconsciously simplify our lives in ways that make it easy for us to make decisions. As a result, we develop behaviors that will appeal to the simplistic and pattern-oriented aspects of our fellow man's primitive brains. If someone looks younger or more athletic, they are perceived to be attractive generally speaking. The benefits of being perceived as attractive are numerous, but there are two primary advantages.

Firstly, it attracts mates. Biologically, we have an imperative to try to compete for the attention of potential partners to pass on our genetic material to the next generation. Young and athletic partners are recognized by the primitive brain as being likely fertile, healthy, and capable of child-rearing. Our animal brain wants to have babies, and as a result makes us attracted to the individuals we would guess are most likely to help us achieve that. Conversely, we try to make ourselves seem as attractive as possible so that we, too, make a good impression.

Secondly, there is a social component. There are tremendous societal pressures to be in a relationship, to be married, or to just not be alone. Physical attractiveness is part of our ability to make ourselves seem "like a good bet", as mentioned above, so we use it to fulfill our need for companionship. Some people, realizing the effects physical beauty can have, also use it for professional or personal gain. While this may seem unfair, it's evolution and capitalism at it's best.

It's important to remember that being pretty is not the same as being a good person or being smart, but when the option is available, it's best to be all three. Hope this helped!

• Sherry

Because the standard of "beauty" has changed in society, it's sad. The botox only makes me want to punch the witch in the face that much more. Ah, you are so clever. If we all had that much money, we could all look like that as a 70 year old woman. It's pathetic how people need to go to that to feel better about themselves. I will criticize anyone who walks around looking like a beautified zombie. I just happen to especially not like Nancy, the plastic surgery and my views of it do not help.

People feel under pressure to look beautiful. For some it is a desire to look better than everyone else, and for others it's merely the desire to look adequate. For example, more and more girls are wearing make-up in schools. There are role models to the girls wearing make-up, obviously, and some follow their example, but there's also the issue of a girl not really wanting to wear make-up, but feeling inadequate to the girls that do. People who are insecure (just about everyone) want to find a way to gain confidence, or attract someone certain's attention, or get hit on as much when they're out as their hot friend, and this leads to them wearing make-up, dying their hair, and doing other things that they hope will make them look better. Some people get boob jobs or tans for their work, but for most people it's more a confidence issue; they hope that by getting a tan or face lift they will feel younger, and happier, when of course they don't, they end up just as miserable with huge boobs.

For older people it's more of the same thing. They feel pressure to look as good as their friend who got botox, or they feel like they need to be young and have fun, and hope surgery or whatever id going to provide them with that.

• I do.. I think it disconnects them from their true selves, and leaves them in denial of the natural course of life, and Nature. I do not want to get old any more than another.. but I look forward to the day when my hair is all white, my back is bent, and my hands are gnarled.. I think it will be beautiful and different. I accept and embrace it, I will remain youthful inside as always.. and really that is what matters.

I will not dye my hair.. ever. I wonder how I will look different and I think it's interesting how we change and age. I don't understand why most all old ladies cut their hair short and curl it.. I will stay the same, I will still be me.. I'll never let that little girl inside me perish, she will shine through to my dying day.

I think people forget that age only changes the body.. you are still you inside.. and love goes deeper than just the surface.

Enhancing is dying your hair- 'faking' it is gluing pieces of an exploited persons hair onto your own to achieve a 'desirable' look.

There's a difference. If you are looking to get attention from these features then I'm pretty sure you aren't doing it for yourself. For example, a woman gets E cup boobs on a stick thin body -attention seeking. A woman has breast cancer and unfortunately requires a double mascectomy and decides later to get a C or D cup- to make herself feel normal.

There is a difference in motives.

They make people feel good about themselves - so for that reason they are useful. As an outsider, you may view someone with a fake tan and make your own judgement as to their character or you may think they aren't enhanced at all. However, for the person wearing the fake tan, they probably think they're the bee's knees and it gives them confidence.

i am far from fake, but i have fake nails.. I dont mind the occasional fake tan and i dye my hair.. I would say i do these things to enhance the way i look and i like to take care of my appearance..

beauty is a HUGE market.. the world is all about looking beautiful and perfect.. there is a huge pressure to be flawless and ageless.. the media has made everything so "fake" that us women with curves are made to feel out of place because we are not stick thin.. fashion makes such a low range in clothing sizes so if you are overweight (according to media) then you have to shop in "big peoples" stores and the fashion range is really poor..

As for the botox and physical enhancements such as boob jobs and butt lifts etc, if for "beauty sake" i find them to be unnecessary.. but dont have anything against it..

Sadly its hard for people these days to be happy with what God gave them, but thats media and worldly influence for you.

I do. Personally I'm disgusted by stuff like that, it's shallow. People should be satisfied with the way they look naturally. They just can't accept the fact that they aren't beautiful in society's eye.

I've often wondered what it would be like in the world, if all of us were blind and had no way of perceiving a persons physical appearance.

Unless it is done for corrective reasons, I find it sad that people will go to such lengths.

Our culture today teaches us that our outer appearance is more important than our inner substance.

BTW, you look like a little pink ALF (if you remember the tv show) : D

i dont think it make the person fake i think it makes there boobs fake or their tan fake i personally wouldnt do any of this . but hey every one to their own .

i dont knnow why people aged 65 would want to look 30 because i think in the end with loads of botax and stuff you will end up looking a little bit of a mess in the long run