ES asked in Education & ReferencePreschool · 9 years ago

Any suggestions on tools to use to teach my 3 year old?

She already completed the Big Preschool Workbook, shortly after I bought it for her when she turned 2. Today I bought her a Kindergarden workbook which she did in less than an hour. She loved it. Also bought her 5 new puzzles (ranging from 48-100 piece) she did them all and a couple of them twice. The 48 and 60 piece she did by herself in maybe 10 mins. The 100 piece onces I helped her with but she did most of it herself (she did a 100 piece yesterday completly by herself). I am in no way forcing learning on her, she actually woke me up this morning wanting her puzzle. And she calls the workbooks I just got her a "game" its fun to her and I only do it when she wants but it seems to be nonstop. She also did parts of a 1st and 2nd grade workbook, but it is harder to do considering shes just learning to read. What are other parents using to teach their kids? any particular books that you would recommend? or teaching stratagies? as she sees it as a game and loves it, and I dont exactly know how to teach. She also loves games (checkers, snakes and ladders, card games). But she seems to not like flashcards even with pics on them - she gets bored or tired of them after a few mins, and I just let her do what she wants to learn so I put them away. She does love learning videos, and really loves learning games on the computer. any suggestions on learning/activity books that are good? Or gift ideas for christmas which incorporate learning (as she seems to enjoy these type of activites way more then toys, and already has plenty of toys) Besides leap frog (she tried her couzins and was bored with it in 10 mins as it seemed babyfied compared to the lap top shes used to using. Anyone know of any good computer games for learning?Also interested in any outdoor learning activities if you have any suggestions (she already goes to the park/playground regularly). I'm new to trying to teach her but want to do my best, any suggestions would help. And please no rude comments.

Favorite Answer

I would suggest putting away the workbooks and flash cards for now as she may become bored with academics quickly. Read, read, read to her. My son's favorite read aloud at that age was Charlotte's Web. We read a couple of chapters every day and he adored it, so don't shy away from chapter books if she enjoys being read to! Make sure she has plenty of paper and writing tools to experiment with. If she has good fine motor control, write her name and let her copy it. Be sure you use upper and lower case as appropriate. Teach letter recognition by starting with the letters in her name, beginning with the first letter. Find it everywhere in the environment, cereal boxes, signs, books, etc. and let her write it in sand, shaving cream (just spray it on the table and write and draw in it, she'll LOVE it I promise!), with pens, pencils, crayons, and so on. She'll get it quickly, then move on to the next letter. When she is writing her first name and recognizes it in print, she's ready for another word. Maybe her last name, maybe your name, maybe mom, dad, love, or dog, whatever you think she would be attracted to. Count sort and match everything, socks, utensils for dinner, etc. and ask thought stimulating questions ie there will be five of us for dinner tonight. I got out 2 plates. How many more do you think we will need? If you feel she is ready for more challenging puzzles, get a big one, maybe 1000 pieces, and work on it with her. Make sure you are having real conversations with her. Ask questions and really listen to her answers, and answer her questions. Use adult size words, and tell her if she hears a word she doesn't understand just ask. You will increase her vocabulary that way by a tremendous amount! As she learns to recognize her letters and begins to read and spell words, get a Scrabble game and a dictionary. Don't play by the rules. Teach her to use the dictionary by looking up words to use that start with that Q, and while you're at it read and discuss the definitions! For outdoors, lots of gross motor play! Also, go for walks and talk talk talk about what you see and hear. To very your walks a bit, make scavenger hunts. Put 6 or 7 items on a list to look for or collect. Make the list with print and simple pictures (you can cut them out of magazines or find them online using google images) so that she can "read" and tell you what to look for. My class just did one yesterday. We looked for a leaf, a stick, a rock, an acorn, a pinecone, a feather, and a ? item which could be anything they found that was natural (not litter) and interesting. They were so excited! Today we will use magnifying glasses and examine what we found and talk about it: was this alive? what was it part of? is it rough smooth big little hard soft? We may choose our favorite item and draw a picture of it. The older children can write a word on their picture, maybe the name of the item or a word that describes it. Another day we will go for a listening walk and then talk about what we heard: the wind? birds? trains? cars? a bus? Sometimes it will be a safety walk and talk about how to cross the street safely, hold hands with a partner, not talk to strangers, etc. Another day we might go for a walk and then draw a map of where we went, talk about our journey using directional and locational words: up the hill, around the corner, beside that big oak tree, etc.

Source(s): ECE teacher, mother of 3, grandmother of a whole bunch

Children learn by repetitive play and experiences. Young children like to do the same puzzles again and again; hear the same stories again and again; play with building toys again and again. The

Really, the workbooks are not a big part of her learning. You can forget them and it will make no difference. Read to her. She can start to recognize the letters and colors. She can count sets up to five and count sets up to five and higher as she is ready. It is not impressive if she can count be rote to 50 if she can't use that information.Build models of numbers and explore them. Use geometric plastic shapes. Explore how the shapes relate. Build patterns and explore designs. She needs toys to play house and explore expressive arts. These are better than formal board games. Cook together. Show her how you measure and mix ingredients. Watch boats on the river or planes at a small airport. Read books about them. Float things in the tub and fly a kite. Let her tell you a story about her boat. You write it down and have her draw pictures. Make a book out of her stories. Go back and reread it often. Teach her how to cut with primary safety scissors. Get some construction paper and make things. Give her clay to develop fine motor skills.

Don't park this child in front of videos and computers too often. Engage her mind and body with activities and experiences. Be sure she is getting good social interaction experiences with swimming or gymnastics. Take her to Sunday School if appropriate. It is wonderful, I'm sure, that she is learning to read at three, but be sure she is getting well rounded experience.

As a first grade teacher, I have had some students who were advanced in reading when they entered first grade but they couldn't hop, skip, climb, cut with scissors, or interact easily with other children. They struggled socially but their parents didn't recognize the problem because they had worked so hard to get the child to read before age mates. Let your child enjoy and explore, not be programmed.

Source(s): 38 year primary teacher
  • Jane

My daughter has just turned 7 and I have pulled her out of school because she constantly disrupts the class and is getting herself labelled as a bad child, which I know she isn`t. She is extremely intelligent, but hates to do work from books and is a year behind in her reading. It was suggested by her teacher that she may be dyslexic. Now I am getting more information about it every week. There is a form of dyslexia where long words can be read but not short ones. There can be dyslexia where reading isn`t affected but the processing of information or instruction is. There is visual and aural dyslexia, in fact I was told there are 5 forms but can only remember those 2. My daughter recently read out a quite detailed text message without any difficulty or hesitation at all and I thought I`d caught her out playing me for a fool, but it turns out dyslexia can be affected by the type of lettering or even the paper it`s printed on! Which may explain why my daughter can do so much on a computer but very little on paper. This is a very, very complex subject and I think finding a quick fix answer would be impossible. In the UK there are tests that can be very easily carried out by peaditricians or educational staff to confirm dyslexia and the type of dyslexia concerned. Unfortunately, unless you kick and scream for them to be done the child gets pigeon-holed until they are at secondary school and by then they are conditioned to behave in the way they have been expected to up until then. The earlier the detection, the earlier they can be assisted and the better their chance of enjoying an education. That`s my view based on my experience thus far. I look forward to hopefully learning more through this post. Tracy xxx

• ?

IPuzzles are good for critical thinking, let the child mature and she will master all of this materials, you need to use the environment for stimulation for her, counting numbers letter and teach her pre-writng and pre-literacy skills, socialization,and interaction

, also the positional words, what do you do when you get up in morning for pre literacy skills in the classroom we use the books and let the child tell you a story of what they see and how they perceive things put a book in the chair, on top on the side, bottom etc. what does a stop sign mean. children usually exceptional in one area are or may lack in another I always found this to be true they are verbal, but lack socialization, and interaction do they know how to share, express their selves without anger or aggression to others. You always have to look at the age and the maturation of the child if the material is not age appropriate the child may become frustrated and not want to participate with subjects like Math, they called this closing down. Many girls have did this in the science and math departments when they get to high school because they don't want to be perceive a nerd or smart by the boys.Using things in the environment is more interesting to younger children such as how many cars she sees when riding down the street ask her what colors she sees, what is that, who what where open-ended questions about the environment. Put tape on the floor and let her walk the line, jump hop, skip, run, fine motor would be thumb to finger like puzzles, etc

Source(s): Supervisor through the commission of teaching credentials
  • prog

I suggest trying these videos. They were great for teaching my kids.

http://xoax.net/childrens/