Brad asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

What Submarine rating should I pick?

So, I went to MEPS today to get my job selection, I was offered alot of ratings but the only ones that interested me were

SECF program (after initial ATT I am put into either the STS, ET-RF, ET-NAV, or the FT rating)

MM (Sub School Contract)

Nuke (I like it but Im really worried that I will fail and that they will stick me in the surface fleet as an MM or EM, the ONLY ratings I wold want in the surface fleet are IS, ET or CT)

So I text my dad immediately after I got back to my Apartment and he told me that I should go MM(Aux) because all ETs, STs, and FTs, aboard subs are "******* nerds" he also said "when they arent working, they go back to their bunk and play with them selves while drooling over the newest video game"

(BTW, my dad served in the Navy from 1990 to Jan 2011)

Essentially, I want a rating that I can have respect with while in the Navy, and something that allows me to use my hands. Is my dad right about the SECF field? that they are treated as a bunch of weirdos? I like machines but I dont know if MM will get me a good career when I get out of the military. I could see my self as and SECF rating or MM but if SECF ratings get treated this bad I will just go MM (sub)

please help.

im in shape, but not THAT in shape, plus, my whole family has been subs and its something I would like to do.

Favorite Answer

Okayyour dad might be wrong about that just do the navy seals you would use you hands alot plus they do really cool things

Source(s): Military navy seals