Is being Poor and White ("White Trash") much different than being poor and black?

or poor and <insert race here> ?

The poor white, are not seen as better than their circumstances. Rather they are despised and rejected by society in general. Most government forms use White or Caucasian to rule out the applicant as being a minority vs. every other choice on forms, which are identified minorities. A list of which has grown over the last few decades to make sure social imbalances are being corrected.

There are no special scholarships, grants, services that are offered to them as part and parcel of social services vs. every social service provider, educator, medical systems etc. that are at the ready to give many choices to anyone identified as a minority.

We rarely see impoverished whites even question this reality.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Honestly, I think being poor and white is worse than poor and black. Poor whites have nobody to turn to even tho the stigma is out there about white people being oh so privileged..

Mark is up there talking about how whites can still "pretend" and this other guy is talking about how there are still wealthy whites so it balances or whatever, but I know where this question is coming from, poor white people in America get the shaft, plain and simple.

• 8 years ago

It is because racial minorities are still under-represented in higher levels of most organizations, so our government wants to make going to college easier for them to ultimately increase diversity. More white people in college would only act against that agenda, and all poor people will get decent scholarships, grants, etc if their grades were high.

Note I stated if grades were high. Most school systems basically just constantly test your ability to memorize data, not any other form of intelligence. So what about those of us who are fairly smart but don't have an amazing memory?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

They are in the same class as blacks. It's usually the poor whites and blacks that suffer the worse in this society.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

In one specific way: a poor white person can pretend (maybe only for a little bit) that he or she is rich, and no one will know without some very specific questions asked, but a black person can't "temporarirly be white" in the same situatations. Hence the term "visible minority", which is used more in Canada, but also in the US.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Whites are the new victim group and the last socially acceptable racism.

I am not a racist or a white supremacist, but I see this predominantly amongst the lower class whites.

I suppose it balances out because whites still hold most of the wealth and power...

• be poor sucks @ss even if your black or white because people are too selfish to help you

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Good question no people are people and poor is poor.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

poor is poor

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

being white in general makes you trash

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.