Anonymous

I just got married and I want to change health insurance but its not open enrollment, can i do this?

I just got married two months ago, i got a quote from my current insurance company Anthem blue cross from my boss they want WAYYY to much so i declined it. We have decide we want to go with Kaiser, but its is not past my open enrollment. I have heard if you have a life changing thing happen such as getting married you can get out of your health insurance is this true? Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Zarnev
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Yes, you could drop your group policy within 30 days of getting married. If you got married 2 months ago it is now too late; you'll have to wait until open enrollment. The only other option is to quit that job.

Source(s): Independent Agent
  • 8 years ago

Yes you can. You have had a "significant life change" by being married and you can now change your health insurance coverage. Other events: having a baby/adopting a child, death of a spouse, or spouse losing their coverage (if they covered you or themselves before).

• 8 years ago

i have heard similar statements made referring to "life changing events" myself in the past. go talk to your human resources or benefits people where you work. they should be able to help you

if that doesn't work try calling customer service at kaiser. i am sure they will do what they can to get a new customer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.