Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 8 years ago

Is it weird to be a teen who likes older music?

So I'm a 15 yo girl & I can't stand most of the crappy music people my age listen to. Some of my favorite bands & singers are Nirvana, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen, Aerosmith, The Knack, Guns N' Roses, Def Lappard, The Black Crowes, Steve Miller Band, Pearl Jam, Ray Charles, Little Richard, Bob Marley ect. I was just wondering if anybody thought it was weird.

Favorite Answer

You worry if that's weird? I listened to classical music since I was 13 and I never thought it was wrong or weird, although many people my age though that, and still think when I say that - and I am 20 now. I always found popular music repulsive, especially today's music. It lacks emotion. You listen to great music, and you should continue that way. I suggest you join some social network and get to know other people your age who listen to similar music. You should look for some more artists from that period, or even older if you also like jazz. Do not worry.

Not at all. All of those artists you listen to, I still listen to today, and did in high school. Especially the Black Crowes, Steve Miller Band, Pearl Jam, etc. There is nothing wrong with liking a certain type of music. I dislike the main stream artists of today, and long for the music of the 70s-90s. My friends often joke with me that I'm still living in the 90s. Like who you like, not what everyone thinks you should like.

Source(s): 20 year old female. Listened to these bands in high school and still do. Not at all proud to say that I do.

Not at all, it shows you appreciate real music,most music/some music nowdays is just teenagers screeching to crappy love lyrics, old music is real music. Some of the artists and bands you mentioned are legends, the beatles, the stones, nirvana, guns n roses, aerosmith, bob marley!

Good taste!! :)

And im a teenage girl too)))) xx

No not at all, i'm 17 and i love alot of the music that you have just named for instance i love Bob Marley, The Beatles, Queen and i'm really into Nirvana and REM at the Moment. I also like The Who, Some Guns N Roses, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and many many more musicians from the past. I love history and i love music so for me i like to look back at music from the past and i think that alot of the music from the past is so much better then alot (not all) of the so called 'music' of today but thats another rant for another time. I also think that you can learn alot from listening to older music if you want to be a musician like i do.

Everyone has a different taste in music and you like music from the past just like me whereas other people may like the music of today which is fine too. Everyone is different and everyone likes different things and so you should not be treated as though you are weird because you don't fit in and like different music. Like the music that you want to like and not what other people tell you to like. I'm not trying to give a f*ck the system speech here by the way lol.

I think it's cool that their are other people my age that are into older music and i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. I also agree that most of the mainstream music today is dreadful and i don't understand why people choose to listen to it but it's their choice and they can do what they want.

I know how you feel because sometimes i'm asked 'why do you listen to old music?' too so i know where your coming from. It does get better as you get older because i haven't been asked why i listen to older music and people seem to accept it more, i'm in College by the way :).

Hope i helped :). Peace!

Source(s): My Brain and Past Experiences :).

Not at all! I, along with several other of my friends, enjoy listening to music from the 60s to 80s. It's just a preference and that is fine!

Nope. It just means that you appreciate music from a time when singers could actually sing and players could actually play.

There's way too much trash being passed off as music nowadays.

Source(s): I am a professional music teacher.

thats not weird... I listen to music tht was before my time too just not the kind of music u listen to.. Its not weird tho lots of teens do tht

No actually you can teach younger generation good old music. It's better if I say so myself.

I dont think its weird at all.