How do plants grow in space?

Has anyone ever found out how plants grow in space? Which direction do they grow in?

I know that on earth plants align themselves with gravity. Without gravity, what do they do?

I meant OUTER SPACE, meaning no gravity.... Same conditions as on earth (artificially), just no gravity.

Favorite Answer

I assume you want the plant to grow in some pod that has no gravity, but has air, sunlight and plenty of water. No plant can live in outer space.

It will probably grow in all directions, but try to grow toward the light source.

• Chris

You are right, plants grow away from gravity and towards light. Without gravity, the seeds will likely not know which way to start growing, and most likely die. I suppose seeds could get lucky and grow the right way. If you already have a plant, the gravity will not matter as much as light does,so it will grow towards light.

Plants don't only use gravity as a reference for "up". They also use the source of light.

Here is an experiment you can try with sprout seeds. Get a shoebox, divide in three with cardboard partitions. Under one section, open the top. Under another section, open the side, and under the middle section, keep it closed.

After growing the seeds in their moist paper towels, observe. You see no growth in the dark section. You see upward growth in the open top section, and curiously, you see a diagonal growth in the side-open section.

YET, they all were grown in the same gravitational field. Interesting.

Plants don't grow in space. Earth is the only planet that supports life and plants are living things.

Your meaning is ...

weight = buoyancy in the water. It's simillar to no gravity.

In this case, my answer is an oceanophyte.

But I know this is not an answer.

Hope it helps.

What part of "the Earth is the only planet in our solar system that can currently support life" don't you understand?

cant grow plants in space but in a space station yes...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research...

they dont