Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 9 years ago

I'm interested in music production. Any advice?

I've come to realize that I'm never going to be any kind of virtuoso musician, and that I also lack the charisma and stage presence to be an effective performer. Conceding all that, I kind of gave up my idea of making it in the music business for a while. But lately I've become more interested in music production, and wondering if that might be a plausible path for me. I've always been interested in the recording process, and for quite a few years I've been collecting albums, studying different sounds and techniques of different artists and genres. And after a while you start to realize the influence that different producers will have on an artist's sound. Which is really exciting to me, the idea that I could discover this talent and help them craft their sound.

So I guess the main thing I'm asking for is advice & your opinions. Is it a plausible career path or should it just remain a hobby? And if you think it is worth pursuing what steps would you recommend that I take. Thank you for any and all advice.

Favorite Answer

Most community colleges offer some digital audio theory courses, and using craigslist you can probably find someone to supplement those courses with private lessons on Protools, Ableton, or Logic. There are also workshops in LA (I see them all the time on Music Radar's facebook page and on Logic's site) These workshops range from certification courses to genre specific classes, like electronic/club/dance. You could also try Full Sail Online, or if you want something cheaper Berkeley School of Music has online certifications in electronic music, music production, songwriting, and audio engineering for around 6,000 dollars and they are 9 months long.

The question is how good are your ears? Can you tell if the 3rd in a major chord is sharp?

Can you tell if a song is in AABA form, do you understand chord progressions like a I-IV-V or a i-iv-V, and can you hear the difference? If you were producing a song in E major that moves into it's relative minor key during the bridge, could you write the bass line? Do you understand the basics of orchestration and where to place instruments in their registers? Could you tell if a vocal harmony doesn't fit with the arrangement of a song, and demonstrate the solution to the singer (either by telling them to move from an A to a B, or to sing the correct line yourself?)

Anyone can produce a song, but to do it well you must have excellent relative pitch, decent basic arranging skills, a good concept of chord theory - to include harmony, inversions, and chord progressions. You can learn these things, but if you don't know them now you're going to have to learn them to really excel.

Source(s): http://www.unsignedredefined.com My blog on Artist and self management

If you plan to make a career in music prouction then at the very LEAST you need to be able to play a piano and READ music.. if you can't at least do that much then you are just delusional if you think you can have a career in music production if you can't actually DO anything.

• Sharon

My suggestion. Get Ableton Live if you have Windows and Apple Logic if you have a Mac because you need a workstation. Like you said, you have synths but you need a drum machine for your beats and mastering the track.

Get a DAW learn hands on

Source(s): Reason