Leaving an airport during a layover?

Is it possible to leave an (international) airport during a layover (waiting for next flight). See i am flying (alone) from San Francisco, USA to Copenhagen, Denmark. i have a 11 hour layover in Amsterdam. I land in the morning and take off in the evening, so perfect. Can I leave the airport at all??do i need a... show more Is it possible to leave an (international) airport during a layover (waiting for next flight).
See i am flying (alone) from San Francisco, USA to Copenhagen, Denmark. i have a 11 hour layover in Amsterdam. I land in the morning and take off in the evening, so perfect. Can I leave the airport at all??do i need a visa or extra something?
Do i need to pass through customs/immigration/or whatever? when i come in how will the process work?

I really want to go to a cafe. hopefully they have one close to the airport. it would also be nice to see Anne Frank's house and a museum. would i have enough time? is there a lot of traffic in amsterdam?