Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 8 years ago

What happened to lead singer for journey Steve perry?

Favorite Answer

In 1994, Perry released For the Love of Strange Medicine, his second solo effort. The album enjoyed some success, partly due to the Strange Medicine world tour.

Journey's classic 1981–85 lineup reunited in 1996 to record Trial by Fire. The album was a huge success, entering the Billboard charts at #3 and going Platinum before year's end, but its triumph was short-lived. Before the Trial By Fire tour could begin, Perry suffered a hip injury while hiking in Hawaii and was unable to perform. Perry was diagnosed with a degenerative bone condition and a hip replacement would be required. Reluctant to rush into surgery, Perry wished to postpone the tour. Due to the long wait between the album's release and the tour's postponed kick-off date, as well as the absence of Journey's iconic frontman, Journey fans were losing hope for the band's future.

Meanwhile, long-time Journey drummer Steve Smith resigned, reportedly saying "Journey without Steve Perry was like Jack without his box." (Smith had rejoined, along with original Journey member Ross Valory, to complete what Perry has referred to as the band's wedding band line-up.)[6]

The remaining members waited until 1998, nearly 17 months after Perry's injury, before making a decision on Journey's future. Growing impatient and realizing the window of opportunity was closing to follow up the success of the Platinum-selling Trial By Fire LP with a world tour, Journey members Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon met with Perry and presented an ultimatum that he either undergo hip replacement surgery so the tour could proceed upon his recovery or a replacement singer would be hired.[6] Perry, still hesitant to undergo surgery and now apparently upset at his bandmates' intractability and their perceived meddling in personal health decisions, decided to part ways with Journey. Perry's vocal duties were later taken over by Steve Augeri of Tall Stories, and nearly two years after the album's initial release, Journey began its long-postponed tour.

While being interviewed during Journey's Revelation tour of 2008, Schon and Cain praised Perry's mighty presence in Journey, adding that Perry had "raised the bar" for Journey. Bassist Valory suggested Journey lead singers who sound like him do so in honor of Perry's legacy with Journey.

He is persuing doing things with family and friends that he did not have the chance to do while touring with Journey and, although I don't really know him personally, but would never miss an oppurtunity to do so, I have seen his performance with the Eels and believe that he may do some other performances. He's probably trying to have as "normal" a life as possible and just enjoy it. Bravo to you Stevie! I will continue to listen to all your cd's and dream of meeting you even in heaven if not on earth. You will continue to inspire me until the end of time and never stop hoping that my thoughts of you will happen. As my Grandmother told me, "Where there's a Will, there's a Way" God has blessed you and will always, I'm sure. Katie

I'll miss the journey that was leaded by my hero, Steve Perry, for rest of my life.