Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 9 years ago

I recently got braces, and I am worried that they could break off?

I need some information concerning braces. So if anyone has any news on this topic, then it would be greatly welcomed by me.

I have had braces for the past 4 days, and yes they still hurt a little, but not to the point of where I cannot eat, or chew with the back of my teeth. But I am worried that whenever I eat something, that it could damage my braces, so I would like to know just how durable are braces?

Is it O.K. to chew things even if your mouth still hurts? Some of my friends have told me that the first day that they got braces, they ate some of the products that they were not supposed to, though they cried the whole process through it.

-Thanks!

Favorite Answer

i have braces myself and in the first week of having them they really hurt, but after that it was fine, I've now had braces for 9 months and i eat anything apart from toffee and chewing gum, and I've been fine, i broke my brace one due to eating an apple, (what happen to 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'?), but i told the dentist i broke it and he fix it for me easy, he didn't even tell me off or anything. Every time braces get tighten they hurt again for a few days, in times like having them first put on and re-tightened, it's best to eat things like soup, or soft things like bananas, because they hurt your teeth less. the glue that they put on your teeth is really strong, so i doubt you'll have a problem of damaging them while eating. hope this helped!

Nothing real chew gooey or sticky. Cut up apples, carrots, raw veggies into smaller pieces. Peel the meat of chicken wings. Basically think before you bite. You really can eat most anything within reason. Just have to remember to take smaller bites and chew tooth on tooth. If you take bigger bites then you have to move your jaw around more and when you bite tooth on bracket, they break. The orthodontist can't use a stronger glue because then if you did bite into something hard your tooth would come along with it and that just wouldn't be a good thing!! Remember that braces have a profile (they stick out). So if you bite into a chicken wing your teeth will get the meat, but the brackets will hit the bone, The bone is hard so it will knock off the brackets.

Keeping your brackets on your teeth will help make your whole brace journey a shorter one!!

Good luck!!

Source(s): C.O.A (Certified Orthodontic Assistant)-22 years

They won't break off if you follow what your orthodontist told you to. Don't eat anything hard that would be pressure on the braces. No gum. I didn't chew gum or anything hard until I was on the 3rd month with braces. It has been 1.5 years since I got my braces & I basically eat everything I was not supposed to LOL . Nothing really happened to my braces. But, I suggest you don't do that. Just don't worry about it & stay away from hard stuff. Hope this helped =]

Source(s): Experience

im scared STIFF of the dentist aswell...! I truly have merely had braces 3 weeks in the past and there no longer undesirable in any respect after I were given to the dentist my tummy became in knots and all they did became make my mouth dry with this spray and then they merely glued them on !.. i became in there for further or less quarter-hour! i theory it may be a lot scarier because after I had the mold done i fainted and that i became ill over my dad so i became soo scared yet truly there isnt something to rigidity about..! i no the way you sense i even pulled a sicky to get out of doing my braces the first time yet truly it doesnt harm and the first DAY think ofyou've got to get used to them yet now i cant sense them ! .. good success!

no hard candy, NO popcorn, carmel, anything that could break the brackets for your braces

nope ha, but don't eat chewing gum etc.. EXPERIENCE.