Hi fellow seniors, when did you last hear something pleasing?

On Friday I was at a memorial service when I heard one of the local young Air Cadets (16-17years old) grumble that he'd lost his poppy and that it must have fallen off somewhere on route.

A second later a British Legion( with a chest full of medals) veteran came over and gave him his.

The young cadet said, " thank you sir but you deserve to wear it more than I do so please keep it on". They shook hands but the elderly gentlemen insisted that the young man should " keep it and wear it with pride".

I and many others within hearing distance felt quite moved by that and agreed that it was so refreshing to hear of such respect for the seniors from a nice well mannered young lad.

All too many youngsters these days get such bad press so it's quite heartening to hear something positive don't you think?

Favorite Answer

We were at a memorial service on Friday too & 200 poppies were being placed on Commonwealth war graves by local school children.One young boy said that he had placed his on a German grave,one of several young Germans killed in the blitz on our city.He felt that young German deserved to be honoured as well as his grave was among all the others.No-one complained.

I'm not a senior citizen, I am only 17 years old, but I can assure you there are a lot of people my age like that, just because a few teenagers wild does not mean we all are. Take the Riots in England a few months ago, when the said how old the majority of the people were most were 25 and over, and the ones who got the most publicity was a few youngsters following the lead of older people, and I discussed it in college with a few friends and they all agreed how pathetic it was.

I can honestly say that I have met a few quite judgmental seniors, I was walking my little cousin to school last week he is 6 years old, and I got quite a few nasty looks off this group of seniors, when I walked past them they said bit young ain't she? I felt like having a go at them, but I didn't . So I think that it goes both ways, there can be horrible youth and horrible seniors, I think if we each show each other a bit of respect we might learn to understand each other, just because we haven't lived as long does not mean we have not been through as much in our lives.

Source(s): 17 year old :)
  • ?

I was hobbling through the City centre the other day, and saw some lads and lassies in the cadets, standing proudly displaying and selling poppies, and not allowing the Koran preachers, or the little gang of yobs a few yards, away to bait them, as they were trying to do.

I was so proud of them.

I agree with everyone. This is good news in the midst of all the bad news. There are young people these days that do have a heart and kindness and respect for their elders. When one shows it in this manner it gives us a sense of reassurance that the young can be strong in character.

Suzie smile lol glad you squeezed that in there congratulations.. a wee little baby right? smile that was cute .... GOD knows it all so lets all never judge anyone at all if thats possible not always simple of course.... the world is more bad than the victims in it are... when people judge each other remember we all live in homes and familys so we all know our cherished moments and memorys and one reason theres no peace is we are loyal to our familys and must stick up for them ..so dont call people horrible unless you grew up in their homes..... we all love our familys more than the sky is big and blue............. all familys suffer and we spend time crying .. we all loose loved ones we get sadder every day from missing them keep no comments if it were easy this is a hard society to live in... GOD BLESS US ALL.......

• Nice story. This year, I'd already lost two poppies ( I'm hopeless at securing them ) so, when I bought another from two army cadet lads in the street, I told them it was my ' third poppy' and one said " This is bound to be '3rd time lucky, ' cos you got it from us !"

They were really sweet lads with freckles and cheeky smiles, and brightened my day.

And indeed they were my lucky mascots because the third poppy is still pinned to my coat, having lasted 6 whole days, ha ha

• ?

That was a nice gesture on the part of the young cadet.

There are lots of fine decent youngsters out there, Lily.

Things happen in quiet ways too. A couple of months ago, we had a very windy night, and two of my conifers which are growing in pots, blew over, they are middling heavy, and as I opened the curtains I thought to myself that's the first job of the day, picking them up and moving them out of the wind.

No sooner had I decided upon this, the paper boy came up my path, righted the pots, and carried

them a short way out of the wind.

When I saw him the next day, and thanked him, he replied, "Just glad to be of service, Sir." It reminded me that there are lots of fine young men and women that we should be grateful for.

• Dinah

I've got a son and grandson and grandnephew who are all nice as they can be, who laugh at genuinely wholesome concepts and care, when they notice someone around them who's in need. It keeps my heart warm. I don't see them often, but when I do, their smiles and goodness...remember the movie "Waiting to Exhale"? Their smiles and goodness lets me exhale with proud relief. One of them was in a diner a few months back, alone, coming home from traveling a long ways for his job. He noticed an afflicted man somewhat older than him, all slumped at his table in his wheelchair, with his companion. His companion's manner made it clear that the man was more often silly than not -- for instance, he loved Elvis. So Ron goes to the jukebox and puts on Elvis. That man sat up straight as he could, and drummed the table with his fingers to the beat, doing as much of a chair dance as he could. Warmed Ron, and warmed me, hearing it.

There are allot of good young people in the world, whose acts often get overshadowed by the bad kids, but our society always gives the attention to those who don't deserve it. The media does that too, because "good" doesn't get ratings and sell newspapers.

• john

What a wonderful gesture.Anytime someone comes by our adoption center letting us know that the pet we adopted several years ago is living a comfortable,loved and spoiled life.

Another bit of good news to hear is the voice of a treasured member in one's life arrived at their destination safely.