Why are there so many atheists these days compared to the late 20th century?

If I recall correctly most people in the 80s and 90s would attend church and if they didn't. Still they would say they believed in god.

These days there are a lot more Atheists and im starting to wonder. Why do you think so? Do you think there will be more Atheists in the future? Will Religion eventually die out?

Personally I was also a believer in god in the 80s and 90s. During the 2000's though my view began to change and I started to believe there wasn't a god. Heck I still don't believe in god anymore. But I wonder why if this is the case though that I was so confident in the past that god did exist.

Not bashing anybodies beliefs here.

I love the idea of there being a god so don't be like "oh you will burn for that"

Maybe I will start going to church again soon and give it another chance.

Favorite Answer

It's especially ironic in light of:-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201111...

& the fact that, the more powerful telescopes & microscopes get, the more overwhelming evidence that all species were designed & created fit for purpose by the Most Brilliant Brain ever - the Almighty Creator

I can only speak for myself, and I stopped believing in God in the mid 1960s, when I was a teenager.

I was religious from childhood, and have always been interested in religions, mythology and science; I was a devout, practising Catholic; I read the Bible, both Old and New Testaments and the Apocrypha, several times; and was taught about it in school.

After studying and thinking deeply about faith, I realised in mid-teenage that faith was based upon nothing but itself, that science explained nature satisfactorily without needing supernatural beings, and that religious beliefs were no different to those of ancient beliefs in gods and goddesses.

When I first had doubts about my faith I thought that maybe this was a test of it, which was an idea planted in my mind by those teaching us about our faith. So I made the effort to accept it even more so. But the doubts came again, and I wondered what would happen if we took faith out of the equation; the world and nature still made sense, so I saw no reason to get back into it. And my understanding is that there's no theoretical or mathematical need for a god or gods, and there's no valid evidence of it or them; so there's no reason to believe. At the time this was difficult intellectually and emotionally (I was a teenager, after all).

That was nearly 45 years ago, and my escape from faith has freed me to embrace what science has to offer, which I consider far more plausible than belief in the supernatural, and is the nearest we can get to the truth about how nature and the universe work. I've felt a sense of freedom ever since, and am happy and at peace with this. And I've found the humility to admit that I don't know everything, rather than masking this by invoking a deity.

I still have an interest in religions, mythology, folklore and related matters, and am fascinated that people still believe in things that to me are clearly just not true.

• Andy

The internet has bought about free access to information and the free sharing of ideas between people all over the world.

Because of this people have been openly discussing things with strangers over the internet which they might previously not have felt comfortable to discuss with anyone. This includes the existence of God along with virtually every other conievable subject that could be discussed.

These discussions have resulted in a lot of people questioning their belief in God and realising that it actually doesn't make much logical sense that there would be a God, considering there is absolutely no evidence of Gods existence and plenty of evidence that strongly suggests there is probably not a God.

That's not to say there is no value in believing in God, or at least in being part of a religion. I think that gives great emotional and spiritual comfort and companionship to a lot of people, which is just as valuable now as it ever was.

Perhaps that is why more and more people are joining modern churches which don't put too much emphasis on God and instead are more about just simply sharing problems, helping each other in your community, and being in touch with the spiritual side of life without necessarily having to believe in something that deep down we all know isn't real.

Here in Australia such churches have grown massively in the last 10 years and are still expanding. They have no dogma and no creed. They just promote kindness to humanity and being part of a community that cares. Services are simple, modern, short and flexible and nobody judges anyone. Many such churches even have a coffee shop in them so you can grab a cappicino before the service! They're very popular (and not just because of the coffee)!!!

I am not a member of such a church but am seriously considering trying one because whilst I no longer believe in God I think I need the above things in my life (especially the coffee)!!!

• ?

I think it has to do with the rise of information. I think prior to the Internet, people weren't even that aware of the tenets of their own faith. I also think the rise of extremism, not only among Muslims but also Christians and even Jews, turned many people off from religion.

Still, it is a pretty religious world even today in 2011/2012. Though I think a lot of religious belief is like the Platte River, it's a mile wide and an inch deep. I think deep down most people doubt religion.

I honestly believe atheist are growing because people use religion as reason to do harm and justify that harm instead of teaching what they're religion has to say and give.I use to be a atheist and now I'm a Christian.Even has a Christian I still don't attend church because I really don't like how cruel judge metal and hypocritical the members can tend to be.The best way to truly know what you believe is to study many beliefs yourself and find what suits you.I don't think anyone who doesn't believe in God will not burn.Simply because hell is not fire but your grave.The actions of your heart and what kind of person you are leads your way into heaven regardless of belief.The bad cease to exist they don't burn.No one burns.

Social and cultural momentum, as the number of non believers increase it becomes more likely that others will. A lot of people attended church just to conform or they were fearful of the social consequences. It happened in the UK in the 60s and 70s, church attendance and belief dropped like a stone now only about 4% of the population attend church. Most people here don't know and don't care.

I was seven when I first heard about *the* imaginary little space chap...

LONG before I knew much about anything let alone science being a concept even...

LONG before teh internets.

Anyway, I was surprised grownups could be so silly; I am still amazed.

Monsters in the closet, under the bed, dancing about on cloudies awaiting requests?

It’s nothing but superstitious nonsense; it’s quite pathetic.

At 64 I have NOT seen-heard anything to cause me a change my mind.

Blame the easy access to information...

It's much harder for gods to hide in 'mystery'.

~

• fwer

It's a cycle. After a while, people want a change in their beliefs, I guess. After all, everyone thinks its "cool" to be counter-cultural. Globally, though, I'm not convinced that religion is in decline. Maybe in the post-Christian West (America may be there some day), but in ex-communist states (that practiced state atheism, btw) like Russia and China, religion is growing rapidly.

There aren't really, we just feel more able to be open about not believing

We used to be persecuted eg killed, for not believing in God.

Plus, scientific advancements plays a key role here

Atheism is largely increasing, yes. It could be because the Bible was written by a bunch of schizophrenics.