Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Lena G asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

best live food for oscar?

*no fish*

oscars are by nature insectivores but what insects are best

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Kudos to you for asking this question. Too many people feed their Oscars the wrong things. Sounds like you are trying to find the right things.

I think the best live food for Oscars are crickets but earthworms and mealworms are other good options.

The following article discusses an Oscars dietary requirements in depth, including recommended live foods as well as what you should not do.... and why.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/oscars/170-o...

Source(s): www.oscarfish.com
  • Ianab
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

They LOVE earthworms, not strictly an insect, but I bet it's part of their natural diet too.

As for insects, they aren't fussy. It's more a matter of what you have locally? Crickets? Mealy worms?

I mostly feed my guy a mix of pellets and raw shrimp / fish. But he's eaten every bug I've ever dropped in. Moths, roaches, flies... they all get eaten.

In the wild they eat almost anything, and it's true that insects are a big part of their natural diet. But they also eat small (and not so small) fish, and any underwater crustacean or insect larvae as well.

Ian

• ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

crickets, earthworms, shrimp, and other small critters. These along with the cichlid pellets provide a well-balance diet.

Beef heart can be given once a week my oscar gets blood worm daphina meal worms an odd prawn lumps of raw fish weekly .

• bliv it ur not go to a bait store and get him nitecrawlers its a fat worm and they love worms and other fish u can feed him meat they love baby guppys but if u cant get him food go out side dig a hole get ur scrap fruit put it n the hole mix it with dirt and nitecarwlers will come and live n the hole and eat the fruit mix the fruit with dirt use peelins form bannas and orgesuse apple cores too

and thats how u make ur oscar food go around n the hole and pull out worms

Source(s): i hav one and i feed him a lot and he loves it
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

watermelons

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.