Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Please read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Ok so for about a year now i have been fainting alot at mass and at school. I have no idea why. I think im healthy. Im like 120 pounds 5 ft 5 and im 14. Whats wrong with me should i see a doctor??

Favorite Answer

Of course go and consult one

• Dee

*** Why Do I Faint?

According to a British report, some 3 percent of us often faint when we are in one specific situation. If you are a fellow sufferer, you may have tried in vain to stop yourself from fainting. You might have tried walking to the bathroom to avoid fainting in public. But that is not a good idea. You might faint suddenly on the way and injure yourself. After experiencing this reaction so many times, I decided to find out what causes it.

After talking to a helpful doctor and checking a few books, I found that such an episode is called a vasovagal reaction. It is thought to be a malfunction of a body system that is meant to regulate blood circulation, such as when you change position from sitting to standing.

In certain circumstances, which may include seeing blood or having your eyes examined, your involuntary nervous system behaves as if you were lying down, when actually you are sitting or standing up. At first, your heart usually races because of anxiety. Then your pulse rate slows precipitously and blood vessels to your legs dilate, or widen. As a result, the blood supply increases to your legs and lessens to your head. Your brain runs short of oxygen, and you faint. How can you prevent this from happening?

You might look away when your blood is being drawn, or you could lie down during the procedure. As mentioned, when a vasovagal reaction is about to begin, you can often recognize the warning signs. So there is usually time to take action before you faint. Many doctors recommend that you lie down and prop your legs up against a chair or a wall. This prevents your blood from draining into your legs, and thus you may be able to prevent the reaction from running its full course. Within just a few minutes, you will probably feel better.

If this information helps you as it has me, you will be able to recognize the signs of an approaching vasovagal reaction. Then you can take prompt action and stop it before it happens.—Contributed.

**** “Vasovagal” refers to the action upon the blood vessels of a long nerve called the vagus nerve. The Latin word vagus means “wandering.”

yes