Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

What is the fastest way to learn Spanish?

I'm Puerto Rican and I don't know Spanish. I've been trying for years and still haven't gotten it down. I hear my mom, stepdad, and stepbrother speaking Spanish to each other and I'm lost in what they're saying. I've only picked up some words. But I need help!

Favorite Answer

The truly best way is immersion but short of that I've heard Rosetta stone is really good(too bad it costs ALOT). Something else could also be your modivation. If you move to Mexico and have to go to school that is all Spanish, you'll learn pretty fast. If you are in highschool in America and take Spanish class you aren't nearly as motivated to actually learn the language.

Lol this is the story of my life. I'm Puerto Rican, and I'm one of the few people in my family who isn't fluent in Spanish. I used to be fluent when I was like three or four, but then I forgot it all. I found that the best way to learn it is to start by taking it in school. At home, you can learn vocabulary which is helpful. But, at school, you learn proper grammar such as conjugating and such. I learned some Spanish at home from what I picked up on. And at school, I learned more vocabulary and how to conjugate in different tenses. It's quite different though, for Puerto Rican students depending on what school you go to. Like, my school is primarily white so my teachers were basically all white, which wasn't a problem. It's just different culturally. Also, Puerto Ricans tend to drop their "s" at the end of words or combing words. Like when I was younger, my grandma would always say ta te quieta. which is estar de quieta or something lol which means stay still. It's weird when you hear the full pronunciation versus what you're used to hearing. After that, watching Spanish television and reading in Spanish helps. Especially reading aloud. Then, immersion helps. This usually works after you have a basic understanding and vocabulary. I went to Puerto Rico for the first time this summer, and my entire family spoke basically only Spanish. I was able to comprehend most of what they were saying. It was just difficult for me to speak it. I had to think of other ways to phrase what I wanted to say if I didn't know how to say it. Which honestly, is an essential skill to have, and a good teacher won't always tell you how to phrase things when you ask them; they'll tell you to find a different way to say it. I've heard that Rosetta Stone works. It is expensive, but there are places where you can download it illegally lol. I've never used it so yeah.

If you want to understand Spanish from a native then decide on a online program since the very best way to understand great Spanish is from a native speaker.

How come u dont speak spanish? Are u born in the us or somewhere else? Well i thnk the best way to learn spanish is to hang out wiv some spanish speaking friends or try speaking spanish to ur mum nd ur family ask some words tht u dont understnd and try to ask some phrases tht u dont know in spanish try tryna say it and remember it.. I thnk it wont be hard to learn the language if uve got a spanish speaking family.. Like me my parents r both from mexico bt i was born here in england at first i aint really fluent at speaking it although i can understant it bt wen i started hanging out wiv my spanish mates then start talking to my parents in spanish whenever i talk to them(cos i used to talk to them in english whenever they talk to me) i just started speaking spanish fluently just last year.

Good luck mi amigo/a :)

Source(s): Spanish speaker(mexican)
  • ChiMom

Are you in school where it is taught?

You can get a basic Spanish textbook.

In learning a language, vocabulary is something that is picked up first---just like when children first learn to talk.

Objects around you, etc.

Then you learn conversations, verbs, etc.

There are lots of 'exceptions' in every language--but don't worry about that part now!

Start with basics--such as numbers, colors, etc.

Basic phrase;

I think = Yo pienso

I want = Yo quiero

I have = Yo tengo

• ?

The fastest way is to fully immerse yourself in a spanish speaking community. For you, this might mean to ask your family to only speak spanish to you. You'll pick it up quicker if you're around it all the time.

Might want to work on your English. "they speaking Spanish..."?

Your best bet is to study some intensive basic courses, then plop yourself so deep in some small village where they only speak Spanish, and there's no one to speak English, and fend for yourself.

Should take you about four months to get up to speed, Six to ten to become fluent.

Sucks when your family didn't teach you their native language!

Take classes,watch television in Spanish, music,practice a lot whatever you can it will stick more the more you hear it and practice.Hang in there you'll get the hang of it.

take a trip to pueto rico.spend your vacation there.interact with the people let them know you want to learn.you will be able to grasp more than what you are doing at the momment. make your step family talk to you in the spanish language and translate what they say to you in english.

These days you can learn how to speak Spanish over the internet. Check out this online course, it's voted as the best Spanish online course of all time: http://www.rocketlearner.com/spanish The course is very easy to follow, I was able to learn Spanish in just 3 months.

I live in New York City, I wanted to go to a Spanish language teacher but that would have cost me over $800 per month. Good thing with this internet, $800 it's a lot of money for me.