Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 10 years ago

Is an Out-of-State address on a Drivers License illegal?

I have a New York State drivers license with a California address. I moved from New York to Cali. 4 years ago. About a year into living here I lost my New York Drivers license. When I called the DMV to get it replaced they sent it with my most recent California address. I've been turned down from getting into clubs, buying alcohol, and now obtaining a new apartment. One person even said that having this is a felony. Other businesses do not see anything wrong with it. Is my license a major DMV screw up and illegal?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you live in California, you should have a California license. Having a California address on a NY license is a bit fishy. I can understand why you have trouble using it. It sounds like a fake ID with a ready-made excuse.

And yes, it is illegal as you've been in California long enough that the law requires you to get a California license. Most states give you 30 days after a move.

• Fred C
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Your licence is invalid, UNLESS you are a full time student attending college, or in the military in California until your next transfer.

If you are resident in California, you are legally required to turn that licence in to the California DMV and exchange it for a California licence.

Your licence is not a DMV screw-up, it is YOUR screw-up, only you can exchange it for the proper licence. You don't say what you have done for insurance, but you could have a major problem with a claim. You could also be ticketed if pulled over in a spot check for violation of state law.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I don't know if it is illegal but it certainly is invalid and totally worthless. Unless you are a full time college student attending school in Ca. or in the US military, You cannot have a license from a state that you don't live in. No wonder you are getting refused. If you drive, Why haven't you got a Ca. drivers license like you are required to have? If you don't drive get a Ca. state issued I.D. card. Problem solved.

• 5 years ago

New York does not require that you be a resident of to apply for a New York State driver license or vehicle registration. Your possession of a New York State driver license or vehicle registration does not prove that you are a resident of New York.

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

That's interesting

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Better fix it before you get arrrested!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.